PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu as a third OS

yuffie8
October 29th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Ok so I just got an aspire 1 and unfortunately needs to put windows on it for University needs, but want to keep the linpus light on incase I need to boot in 15secs to check the web.

However I want to spend most of my time in Ubuntu when boot time and Uni are not an issue.
If I repartition the 120 gig to allocate 20gig ntfs with Gparted and 70Gig ext3 , the install Windows, will the Ubuntu install clean up the Grub and is this even a practical reality ?
I dont have a big deal losing the linpus but it boots so fast and the wifi works so well!

Any advice before I go ahead...

Amarsingh0793
October 29th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Installing Windows after Ubuntu is really hard to do! I suggest you back up all your data and give it a shot with the knoppix CD's partitioner. As for the GRUB thing, I'm not sure if it will automatically detect the windows partition, so if it doesn't, you may have to manually edit the menu.lst file, and add the entry there.

Hope this helps :)

yuffie8
October 29th, 2008, 10:33 PM
No. 1 ... sweet rig!

No. 2, I was intending to install Ubuntu after Windows , still I have installed windows after linux before and it went wrong.

I want to keep the default OS on there, linpus, and have absolutely nothing worth backing up as I only bought the AA1 2 days ago and havent messed round with linpus sufficiently for it to be worth it.

I have a system rescue CD so unless I get any concrete NO's I will probably go ahead and put it on later tonight :)
Cheers

Amarsingh0793
October 29th, 2008, 10:41 PM
No.1, Thanks :)!

No.2, If you haven't really got anything valuable on the computer, I'd say go for it! But if possible, wait until tomorrow (8.10 IS COMING!!!).

:)

emshains
October 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
The thing with windows, is that if the installer doesn't recognize an usable partition/drive, that's already been formated for use with windows, it will only leave you with two options, full format with fat32 or, you've guessed it, full format with ntfs.

yuffie8
October 29th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I have a couple of 8.04 discs around, although I think I will wait for a few more days now because I want to test the hardware a bit before tinkering just incase there is any problems - none encountered yet and not expecting to but I dont want to void the warranty (not that i suppose putting OS's on does that).

Think I was just looking for something worth doing while match of the day was on so I dont fall asleep.

Bah, I shall think about it over a brew. Cheers