PDA

View Full Version : What's always breaking?

Paqman
October 29th, 2008, 07:20 PM
What would you say is the most unreliable class of components in your computer?

Mine would have to be optical drives. I seem to go through about one a year in my desktop. I used to have trouble with hard drives too, until I stopped using Maxtor ones.

SunnyRabbiera
October 29th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Windows, seriously :D

I have many computers die mainly because of windows.

LaRoza
October 29th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Mouse and keyboard. Although they don't "always break", they are up next for replacement. It is the original keyboard I got, so it isn't like I ever had to replace it yet.

Paqman
October 29th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Windows, seriously :D

I have many computers die mainly because of windows.

That's not really broken though is it? There's a simple fix here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download)

;)

Mazza558
October 29th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Hard drives for me.

SuperSonic4
October 29th, 2008, 07:33 PM
PSU, I've had to replace one. Probably because I like turning it off at the mains.

pape
October 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Hard drives.

:KS BACK UP PEOPLE!! :KS

Siph0n
October 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Optical drives for me too...

SunnyRabbiera
October 29th, 2008, 07:40 PM
PSU, I've had to replace one. Probably because I like turning it off at the mains.

so far only two PSU's died on me, but these days I keep them maintained

snova
October 29th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I've never lost a hard drive, or any other piece of hardware.

How long will it be until my luck runs out, do you think?

klange
October 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM
In every custom build I've been in some way involved in has had the floppy drive fail. What's with that?

steeleyuk
October 29th, 2008, 09:24 PM
PSU fan. Can't remember the last time I saw mine turning but its a good few year ago. I'm still waiting for the PSU to overheat and die...

Sam
October 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM
4 hard disks (one suddenly died, the three others started by getting unreadable sectors before weird noises, so backing up was possible)

1 CPU which literally exploded in the case. Of course the mobo didn't supported it (peace to your soul, my good ol' 486SX).

1 keyboard (do NOT put a coke glass between the keyboard and the mouse !)

hellion0
October 29th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Usually, if anything dies on me, it's either the hard drives or the monitors.

billgoldberg
October 29th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I've had some bad luck with optical drives.

The motherboard in my laptop has been fried once too.

Besides that I don't have any real breakage to report, sir.

will1911a1
October 29th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Optical drives, hands down.

glotz
October 29th, 2008, 11:27 PM
- All those default el-cheapo fans die like flies... Horribly loud and hot. Have replaced like 20+ of those and you can say I passionately hate them.

- I had my (t)rusty Pentium 3 450 MHz CPU die on me back in the day, I guess part of the blame could be me overclocking it, nothing too radical though but I did run it 100% (110%) for a couple of years straight.

- One hard disk I think, no backups, ofc. Long time ago.

- One mobo, it was one with the infamous crappy capacitors.

- I have a faulty RAM stick in my drawer waiting for the badram kernel patch to be applied, not sure if it was like that when purchased or if it actually went south sometime later in use.

- One dead PSU, the holy smoke came out, boy did it smell good! Ewwww!

- One dead GPU, it was a venerable TNT2, also somewhat overclocked, the colors went wonky, for good...

- One keyboard didn't like orange juice.

No other casualities I can remember and this streak is like 21 years. Not bad.

(I though this tread was about new Ubuntu versions and software breaking up. Hardware is the classic question I guess.)

Vince4Amy
October 29th, 2008, 11:33 PM
DVD Rom Drives. Though I've changed quite a few PSUs this year.

Don S
October 29th, 2008, 11:43 PM
That gotta be my monitor... I've had one of them broken so far. I've also lost one GPU and a USB-port. I tend to be a good care-taker of my computers. :)

aeiah
October 29th, 2008, 11:47 PM
ram a couple of times for me. im currently running on one 1gb stick of DDR, which doesnt work so well when there should be a pair.

to be honest, the thing that fails for me more than anything is usb thumb drives. i think ive owned 6 or so, and they only last a couple of months. maybe my usb ports supply more than 5v or something. ive given up with them now. i have a 1gb one that i dont trust. all the others have been thrown away after breaking :(

mfarquhar
October 30th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Hard Drives for me. at least 3 in the last 2 years.

Stu09
October 30th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I just had a hard drive die on me this morning. I'm running off an Xubuntu live CD to write this

Polygon
October 30th, 2008, 01:21 AM
two cd drives in the past 7 years, both within two weeks of each other. i think its my motherboard at fault tho

Daggo
October 30th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I blew my stock PSU overclocking. *doh*

bigbrovar
October 30th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I have had 4 laptops in the last 2 years and all but the latest one ( which i just got) had optical problems.

Frak
October 30th, 2008, 02:05 AM
1. PSU (I replace them like rolls of toilet paper... on a very bad day...)
2. Motherboard (I shall never buy a Hewlet-Packard ever again... capacitor exploding piece of crap.)
3. Hard Drives (tick... tick... tick... screeeeeeeech... tick......)
4. RAM (My macintosh ate one once, shorted and snapped off 4 pins off of an SDRAM chip)

notwen
October 30th, 2008, 02:27 AM
In my 14 years I've had several things go bad, but I think PSUs topped the list. =]

6 PSUs
3 HDDs
3 Modems <-- Haw
2 MEM Sticks
2 Gfx Cards

Paqman
October 30th, 2008, 01:57 PM
So it looks like hard drives, power supplies and optical drives are the main culprits.

Hopefully the switch to SSDs should improve the hard drive situation a lot. Can't see the other two improving (I don't think flash storage will completely replace optical disks for quite a few years, myself)

Looks like it might be an idea to always buy the best PSU you can afford, though. In the past i've only ever swapped out generic ones for noise reasons. Looks like reliability should probably be a consideration as well.

rick08
October 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I encounter most problems with hard drives or fans. The fans don't really break, but they get worn out over time and all of a sudden your overclocked cpu breaks in half and scares the ... out of you. My hard drive problems are mostly because of winblows.

Paqman
October 30th, 2008, 03:13 PM
My hard drive problems are mostly because of winblows.

How so? Generally speaking, software doesn't kill hardware.

schmidtbag
October 30th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Optical drives for me seem to be the most troublesome - the PATA interface doesn't help make problems less frequent for me. Motherboards are the 2nd most breakable to me. I fix a lot of computers and nearly everything PC with something permanently damaged is the motherboard, and guess what, its always Dells.

I personally never dealt with many PSU problems but I do know for a fact that they, and video cards, are the parts most likely to be DOA.

Dragonbite
October 30th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I've had 2 things crap-out on me; one is listed (optical drive) the other is not (wireless card).

I'm lucky that I have an external USB CD burner I can use in the meantime, but the wireless I am going to have to wait for the money for a new one.

At least, while testing out my work computer, I found it's wireless card was detected by the Ubuntu LiveCD without having to download anything. So I'm going to try and get that one for my home laptop.

HellNoire
October 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Drives in general.

As of right now, my 120 Gig HDD is dead, my Flash drives are missing, and my CD drive is tempermental.

However, I don't have the time to replace them, so I'm just ignoring it for now.

Trail
October 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM
4 Hard drives,
2.5 Monitors,
2 Optical drives,
1.5 Motherboards,
1 PSU

Dragonbite
October 30th, 2008, 03:34 PM
4 Hard drives,
2.5 Monitors,
2 Optical drives,