PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Runners?

Valok
October 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
So I consider myself sort of an oddball. I really love computers and playing around with them, working with them etc. But I also really love to run and I'm actually doing my first marathon this coming Sunday.

Just curious if there are any others like me who are total computer dorks but also love to run.

clanky
October 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I used to run 10k competitively, up until I was 18 and discovered beer, now 34 and the only sport I am really into is kayaking, it's a whole sport that you can do sat down!

jenee
October 29th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I run just over 3 miles ever other day, not much but keeps on it

Marshal0505
October 29th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I used to run with a passion.Asthma ruined my fun.
I might try rekindling this oldest of hobbies but i'll have to start slow with walking.Imo sitting in a chair in front of a computer is such an unnatural posture that regular exercise becomes all the more important.

Good luck on your oncoming challenge, I really envy you.

tdrusk
October 29th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I ran in middle school. Now that I'm in college I just play pool and the occasional ping pong game.

I did ride bicycles for a while, but I went big and went down hard. I had a concussion, so I try to stay away from anything that will make me stupid.

And yes, I was wearing a helmet.

swisscow
October 29th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Done four half marathons and loads of cross country races. There's a guide book (forget what it's called) of all the races in the UK. Just used to look em up, register and run.

Living in switzerland now, hills are a lot bigger so running is a lot slower. Down hill is fun though :-)

tdrusk
October 29th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Done four half marathons and loads of cross country races. There's a guide book (forget what it's called) of all the races in the UK. Just used to look em up, register and run.

Living in switzerland now, hills are a lot bigger so running is a lot slower. Down hill is fun though :-)
Yeah. Living in North Georgia has those characteristics as well. I have ran a 5k before. Forgot to mention that.

chucky chuckaluck
October 29th, 2008, 08:46 PM
i despise distance running, but i do sprint workouts (if that counts as running).

MasterNetra
October 29th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I bike 12 miles a day, 3 days a week. Not for fun though. I have to in order to get to class for college. Rain, sleet, ice, and snow. I bike through it all...well except blizzards. I never bike through those.

roamingfree
October 29th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Was training for the ironman in switzerland. made the mistake of locking my bike up in manchester in plain view of a CCTV camera. Not a mistake I intend to repeat. sigh.

Nepherte
October 29th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I try to run 3 times a week, each run +- 10km. I'm in university and during my first year I barely did anything related to sport. But encouraged by a big running event organized by students (a competition in which your student organization/faculty has to run 24 hours non stop against others), I started running again 2 years ago and I'm happy I did.