PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Packages disappearing from Ibex as release date nears?

omniuni
October 29th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I had installed on my own computer Intrepid Ibex and found lots of nice new things in KDE4. The desktop cube finally made it in, a weather plasmoid was in the repositories, etc.

Now, several of these packages seem to be GONE. Since it is so close to release date, I installed Ibex for a friend, and I found that I could not install a weather plasmoid, there is no such "Desktop Cube" effect, and certain dialogues have changed to show less features.

Does any one know? Will these features be returned to Ibex? Is there a repository I should add?

-OmniUni

perspectoff
October 30th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I had installed on my own computer Intrepid Ibex and found lots of nice new things in KDE4. The desktop cube finally made it in, a weather plasmoid was in the repositories, etc.

Now, several of these packages seem to be GONE. Since it is so close to release date, I installed Ibex for a friend, and I found that I could not install a weather plasmoid, there is no such "Desktop Cube" effect, and certain dialogues have changed to show less features.

Does any one know? Will these features be returned to Ibex? Is there a repository I should add?

-OmniUni

There are a lot of features from KDE 3.5 that do not seem to be in KDE 4.

One of the features I liked best was being able to open folders as root from Dolphin, but that seems to have disappeared. Just as well, since it was a security risk.

Many, many of the desktop features of KDE4 are not fully functional. It took me about 4 days to tweak KDE 4 to act like the KDE 3.5 interface, which I prefer, simply because many options, such as icon resizing, taskbar resizing, manipulating the widget icon, etc, etc, are not yet functional in KDE 4.

Also, automatic mounting of Samba shares is non-functional, assisted mounting of Samba shares is not available, and a few other networking bugs that did not exist in Hardy Heron.

My wireless networking worked (even with Atheros using Madwife drivers) on Hardy Heron, and there was no improvement on Ibex. Therefore I had no reason to upgrade for laptop or wireless purposes.

Intrepid Ibex from the KDE standpoint is truly beta, even at release.

Hardy Heron was a stellar performer, and I won't change any corporate installations to Ibex at this time. But for home desktop use, I have made my peace with KDE 4 and can start delving into the other benefits of Ibex, such as improved Virtualization capabilities, which didn't work very well for me in Hardy (at least with Virtualbox).

My recommendation is for users who love Hardy, stick with it and don't upgrade for many more months. There is a lot of work to do on Ibex and KDE4, yet, at release time.

Kubuntu Ibex has put me back into tinker, tinker, tinker mode ala Windows Vista. I can get things to work eventually, but only with an awful lot of workarounds.

Archmage
October 30th, 2008, 03:15 PM

I assume that you have to enable the (multi)universe respositories to enable this.

Vorian
October 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM

-OmniUniWe removed the desktop cube feature as it posed conflicts with kwin. The cube/sphere/cylindar will be features in 9.04. These kwin features are in the 4.2 branch. Intrepid is at 4.1.2 now, and will be updated to 4.1.3 next week.