PDA

View Full Version : I would like to make money from Linux - Opinions please

fatality_uk
October 29th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Assuming I were to make an investment into a Linux based business, how would people feel about a business making money from OpenSource software and consultancy?

*nb Hypothetically, all FOSS principles would be adhered to, source available etc.

earthpigg
October 29th, 2008, 03:56 PM
if i had the experience generally needed to start my own business and i wanted to,

i would not brand it as a 'linux' company (intimidates/confuses people), but a 'networking consulting and training' company or something along those lines with whatever niche you intend to move into.

aeiah
October 29th, 2008, 04:11 PM
linux wouldn't be half what it is now if people weren't involved to make money. look at what canonical, novell and redhat have contributed back, as well as projects like drbd, linuxha, kvm, apache etc. a lot of this stuff wouldnt get off the ground without companies employing people full time to develop them. even things like compiz were funded by business to kick start it (novell in this case wasnt it?)

so yes. making money from FOSS is a positive thing, and i like companies that do something constructive with opensource as opposed to selling some shaky closed source microsoft access crap

artir
October 29th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Well, you can actually sell OSS software, but you have to show the code.
As Shuttleworth said, the future of the software business isn't to sell software; it's to sell support services. I share his opinion.

Ub1476
October 29th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Yes, you have to sell support and provide solutions for small/medium businesses and others. I don't think it'll be easy, unless you have a Bill Gates brain for IT and marketing.

Don S
October 29th, 2008, 04:29 PM
the future of the software business isn't to sell software; it's to sell support services.
+1

Riffer
October 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I wonder if a small company (one person) could do well as Linux/Ubuntu service provider.

You could advise and setup small business migrating to Linux. Do much the same for desktop users. Perhaps even build and service linux machines.

I would think that it be slow going to begin with, probably only part time. But if the guy/gal was smart and worked at it it could go.

forrestcupp
October 29th, 2008, 05:23 PM
It's possible, but it wouldn't be easy for a person or small business. Most of the money makers are large corporations with projects so huge that they attract a lot of big paying sponsors.

Although some people, such as az, have been successful at creating a useful open source app and making money from support.

MasterNetra
October 29th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Aye selling Linux machines would be a good thing. I mean think about it. With Ubuntu being free that is already $250 shaved off the price compared to selling Microsoft machines with vista. Allows you to sell cheaper machines or same price machines at a better quality. But i wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. You might want to also provide multiple services and products. Diversity is a good thing. Besure also to note how easy Ubuntu is to use. :)

wannadumpwindows
October 29th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Go for it. One more voice out there spreading the word can't be a bad thing.

Just about everything starts with one person and an idea. Maybe you can be the next big thing we all aspire to have or use.

ukripper
October 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I'd suggest company to provide support services to SMEs (first then move to enterprises later on as experience is gained) plus sell pre-build linux machines as part of Business consultancy firm.

goodluck!