PDA

View Full Version : How did Ubuntu astonished you lately?

sealview
October 29th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I can't express my love for Ubuntu
I just found out that I'm deeply in love with Ubuntu.
I have used since the 4.10 and I have a server that runs on Ubuntu for about 3 years, but with the release of 8.10, Ubuntu full filed my humble mobile needs.
The think that has astonish me was that I tried a lot to connect to the internet through an Orange Wireless modem in 8.04 with absolutely no luck#-o, but after I have upgraded to 8.10 (nth Alpha ) big surprise, I plug the modem (USB) and hop-up :shock: "Huawei wireles modem detected" and a nice applet asked me "what's your mobile provider: Orange or Vodafone?" (something like that). And voila, surfing!=D>

So here i come with a question.
How did Ubuntu astonished you lately?

4Orbs
October 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Kubuntu 8.10 astonishes me. I've never used a KDE desktop during the eight months since I first installed Ubuntu. I read numerous posts and reviews flaming KDE 4.1, so I was expecting the newest Kubuntu to be horrible. But it is very cool, and I am glad that I took the leap of faith and installed it regardless what others were saying. Xubuntu astonishes me also. It's so quick and easy to set up a nice looking and efficient system. Both of them astonished me even more when the cd tray attacked my finger.:popcorn:

Dragonbite
October 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I ran a LiveCD on my work laptop to see if my wireless router was working since my personal laptop wireless was showing nothing.

Ubuntu detected and easily connected to my router without having to download any proprietary drivers or firmware cutters! Talk about addictive! :)

Before that, I was running a LiveCD from my work laptop at work and was able to surf the network effortlessly!

Vadi
October 29th, 2008, 04:36 PM
It's worked the same for a year without slowdowns or need for fixing it.

That, in the computing world, is an accomplishment.

malleus74
October 29th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Being the most user-friendly *nix derivative I've ever seen. Everything but wifi worked out of the box.

FuturePilot
October 29th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I upgraded my PC to Intrepid and the boot time amazed me. It boots up so much faster than Hardy did. Also all of the multimedia buttons and my extra mouse buttons are working without any fiddling around on my part. Amazing. :D Before about only half of the multimedia buttons worked and none of the extra mouse buttons worked. I was very happy when I saw that they all worked. :D

tenthirtynine
October 29th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Astonished by the fact its free... :popcorn: