PDA

View Full Version : The final countdown

gaspard.leon
October 29th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Starts here!

In New Zealand it's 2008-10-29 23:30

Nearly 2008-10-30...

Counting down the hours to Ubuntu 8.10 release!!

can you tell I'm excited??!
:lolflag:

blablatestbla
October 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM
*sigh*

When you hit the 30th - it's not going to be the 30th in London!!!!

Have people forgotten about time zones?

gaspard.leon
October 29th, 2008, 11:33 AM
is there a time zone specified somewhere?

as far as I know it's "The 30th" sometime... no specified time zone, unless you can point me to an exact time?

blablatestbla
October 29th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Canonical are based in London. They're the ones that push a release live. Until they hit the 30th, it doesn't matter who else does first, since it's released on their schedule.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidReleaseSchedule

There's no actual time listed though, so we can only go from what they've done in the past. Can't remember what they normally do, sorry.

Sand & Mercury
October 29th, 2008, 11:40 AM
We're leaving together
But still its farewell
And maybe well come back
To earth, who can tell
I guess there is no one to blame
Were leaving ground
Will things ever be the same again

Its the fiiiinal countdooooown

I'm debating with myself as whether to wait for Linux Mint 6, or switch back to Ubuntu in order to get the newest asap. LM5 is working perfectly fine, but... nnngghh... shiny new things...

gaspard.leon
October 29th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Its the fiiiinal countdooooown

I'm debating with myself as whether to wait for Linux Mint 6, or switch back to Ubuntu in order to get the newest asap. LM5 is working perfectly fine, but... nnngghh... shiny new things...

Yes, I was seriously considering linux mint for my next build, as it appears to be highly polished, and have some of the basics down pat...

We'll see, I'll probably just stick with the boring old brown ubuntu and just tweak it to my likings tho...

mybunche
October 29th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Counting down, always exciting.

We'll see, I'll probably just stick with the boring old brown ubuntu and just tweak it to my likings tho...

I actually have grown to like the brown, it is very distinctive, and been using the default theme since 6.10.

maniac_X
October 29th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I could never understand the whole "I don't like boring brown Ubuntu" argument. Why not just change the color scheme o.0 ??

blablatestbla
October 29th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I could never understand the whole "I don't like boring brown Ubuntu" argument. Why not just change the color scheme o.0 ??

Because when dealing with non-geeks, first impressions count. You want something nice and attractive as a default. It doesn't matter if it can be changed, it can always be changed, but it immediately gives the user an impression.

I like women, but I don't like ugly women. They could be the smartest, have the best personality in the world, and perhaps a change in makeup and dress would result in them looking like a goddess. But if she doesn't strike me upon a first impression, my eyes will go elsewhere.

It's not stupid, it's not shallow, it's just basic human behavior that all the commercial operating system developers have learnt to capatalize on. Why hasn't Canonical?

jenee
October 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM
if i get a chance it will be at the weekend between going out

toupeiro
October 29th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Made a switch from Ubuntu to Kubuntu with 8.10. I'm pleasantly surprised! This is a great release. Kudos again to all who contributed to 8.10.

gaspard.leon
October 30th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Counting down, always exciting.

I actually have grown to like the brown, it is very distinctive, and been using the default theme since 6.10.

sorry i probably came off as sounding like I don't like the warm earth tones of ubuntu default, I actually do, I was just trying to contrast it to mint...

:mrgreen:

jimi_hendrix
October 30th, 2008, 12:39 AM
now i have one question:

i have the beta but can i just upgrade from that or will i need to reinstall the stable release

tom66
October 30th, 2008, 12:42 AM
19 minutes to 0:00 GMT here, but whether they release it then is the question.

gaspard.leon
October 30th, 2008, 12:42 AM
i will be downloading intrepid soon, but probably won't install it till the weekend.

I have a new computer to try it on as well! this will be fun

Old pc: 2ghz AthlonXP 32bit w/ 2GiB, Geforce 5900XT, lots of harddrives
New pc: 2.5Ghz Intel E5200 (45nm, Wolfdale 2MiB cache), 4GiB, 8800GT, Samsung Spinpoint F1..

I'm interested to find out if the 8800GT is really as slow with the non-free driver as so many people say... gtkperf here I come...

LOL

xouns
October 30th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Uh, I'm still used to Windows, and using M$ OS's, upgrading is the LAST thing on your mind... Remember the first two months with XP? Oh, what about Vista? I'm really still keeping an eye on the "known issues" page, and 'll wait for just a week...

SuperSonic4
October 30th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I'll be sticking with mandriva

but 16 minutes left here

gaspard.leon
October 30th, 2008, 12:44 AM
19 minutes to 0:00 GMT here, but whether they release it then is the question.

Well it's unspecified so it could be anytime between 00:00 and 23:59... probably GMTish as everyone keeps saying Canonical is located in London.

I expect it will take time, and there is a very real chance that some hardware could go down as the load goes up ;)

tobyadams
October 30th, 2008, 12:46 AM
have to say im quite excited. Would love to see a torrent download at 00:01 :)

gaspard.leon
October 30th, 2008, 12:47 AM
now i have one question:

i have the beta but can i just upgrade from that or will i need to reinstall the stable release

This is a question of choice really, supposedly it shouldn't make much difference, it just means you will need to download more updates then if you had installed with the Release CD instead of a beta or RC..

I prefer to have less updates but it doesn't really matter, I'm sure there are some other minor things to consider, but I can't think of them now.

personal choice really.

jimi_hendrix
October 30th, 2008, 12:54 AM
This is a question of choice really, supposedly it shouldn't make much difference, it just means you will need to download more updates then if you had installed with the Release CD instead of a beta or RC..

I prefer to have less updates but it doesn't really matter, I'm sure there are some other minor things to consider, but I can't think of them now.

personal choice really.

so basically i will see that little red arrow saying i need a download?

Xzoky
October 30th, 2008, 12:59 AM

I do think so. But if I were you, I'd download the ISO and make a new, clean install ...
PS : here we are, midnight GMT !

tom66
October 30th, 2008, 01:05 AM
The timer is broken, it says 'Ubuntu 8.04 - Coming Soon' in red text.

gaspard.leon
October 30th, 2008, 01:32 AM

sort of...

it all depends how old your beta was, if it's the RC or a daily from like today or yesterday it depends on if there was any bugs fixed since then, if it was a solid RC there will be little if any changes from RC to release.

if your beta was old then surely there will have been updates since then.

I still prefer to have final media around in case I want to install on a second or friends computer there is less updating to do.

If you were using 8.04 then you will see an upgrade button in the update manager, which you will explicitly have to press to upgrade, (which can be dangerous as often people have custom packages or settings that can't be easily upgraded.)

It's almost always cleaner to just backup your user data and any important settings or customizations such as your ff profile etc then install a clean new release and then restore your backed up files and settings.

you will most likely see a red down arrow, or a orange "star" as I believe the ubuntu team was madly fixing the last couple release critical bugs...

kk0sse54
October 30th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I was so excited for the new release of Ubuntu that with one day to go I uninstalled Ubuntu 8.10 Beta and replaced it with Debian :D

ad_267
October 30th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I'm in Auckland too, I upgraded a week or two ago and had a few issues at first. Pulse audio wasn't working and nautilus crashed a few times but that seems to be fixed now.

Only remaining issue is the cd drive will close straight away if I eject it when it has a disc inserted. Everything else is running great!

MasterNetra
October 30th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Well its 9:56pm for me Eastern time int he US and it should of been midnight in london about 2 hours ago. so idk

tom66
October 30th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I bit the bullet and installed it now.

BGFG
October 30th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Well it's around 2 am in london and the 8.10 page is loading like crap. Nice to know i'm sharing the pipeline with all of you.

ad_267
October 30th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Hey it's 3.24pm on the 30th where I am, I doubt it will be out until tomorrow.

phrostbyte
October 30th, 2008, 03:25 AM
It's not being released in any specific time on the 30th. So it can be almost another 24 hours for it to be released, but more realistically probably in 10-15 hours.

MasterNetra
October 30th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I'm not giving up for tonight until its 1:00 am. EST.

gaspard.leon
October 30th, 2008, 03:31 AM
well I'm waiting for the dust to settle then install in the weekend.:guitar:

BGFG
October 30th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I want to at least start my torrent ASAP.

kagashe
October 30th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Already using it but this is on my daughter's desktop (at Bhubaneswar) and we are leaving this place day after tomorrow.

I find many updates to RC which I installed on this desktop and would be downloading final iso tonight and trying final Live CD on this desktop since I had to remove compiz to make the installed system (from RC) work (intel driver).

kagashe

undoIT
October 30th, 2008, 07:10 AM
no buntu yet. i'm going to bed. hopefully downloads will be available in the morning.

Bakon Jarser
October 30th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I'll install it on a seperate partition. I keep a couple spare partitions around because I like trying different distros and hard drive space is cheap.

Be kind to the servers, download a torrent.

maniac_X
October 30th, 2008, 07:29 AM
as Homer would say,"Mmmmmmmmmmmm, Ubuntu"*drool*

image removed to prevent anxiety attacks ;)

ad_267
October 30th, 2008, 07:43 AM
as Homer would say,"Mmmmmmmmmmmm, Ubuntu"*drool*

What's up with your available disk space? Is that off a live CD?

maniac_X
October 30th, 2008, 07:49 AM
What's up with your available disk space? Is that off a live CD?
yes sir, live CD. running very smoothly :guitar: