PDA

View Full Version : HP mini linux version Ubuntu based

mybunche
October 29th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Check out this, HP mini with Linux is Ubuntu based, seems like they will have their own customised interface.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/29/hps-new-mini-1000-and-mie-linux-make-netbooks-fun-again/

Hope this comes out in Australia, Dell are dragging their feet.

_sAm_
October 29th, 2008, 12:55 PM
It sounds very good! Dell is to slow and are not selling the Mini-Inspiron here yet, hope HP will be faster(my guess they will).

More info about Mini 1000; http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/10/jkontherun--han.html
Homepage: http://www.shopping.hp.com/mini/

Looks like they like the (new )Ubuntu UI:

As stated the Mini 1000 is available with two operating system options, Windows XP home and Linux. The Linux version is Ubuntu and HP has developed the Mobile Internet Experience (MIE) shell sitting on top of it to appeal to novice users. We played with the MIE for a good bit and we are impressed how decent the user experience is using it.

The MIE screen gives easy access to photos and the media player which worked as expected. The MIE was extremely snappy and well done and it's easy to see how it is the way to go for novices. There is an easy way to add programs using the MIE that will only offer Linux programs that HP has certified as working with the device.

Of course Linux folk can pretty much do what they want as the system is not overly restrictive. LOL

The Windows key on the keyboard is replaced by an HP key on the MIE models and pressing this key takes you straight to the MIE home key.
Yes! Did you know that HP, Dell and so on pays MS money to add the windows key to the keyboard. Nice to see we dont need it on this one.

And one thing that surprised me is that only the Linux option can choose 2gig of ram(1gig with windows xp). Me like:-)

Changturkey
October 29th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Wish they put the VIA Nano in this.

andrewsomething
October 29th, 2008, 05:00 PM
The screen shot of their Ubuntu-based Linux MIE, looks very cool. Anyone have more infor on it? Is the source availiable?

OpenSourceDave
October 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Looks quite cool! :) Interesting to see what casual users will think of it :)

bilal.17
October 29th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I've read that it has the best keyboard compared to other netbook. Only wished they used the same resolution as the original hp mini netbook.

Yoke & Chung
October 30th, 2008, 08:11 AM
The screen shot of their Ubuntu-based Linux MIE, looks very cool. Anyone have more infor on it? Is the source availiable?

Apparently no, it is proprietary HP interface. Keeping my fingers crossed again for the availability of Mininote 1000 MIE edition in Singapore. Disappointed by Dell's offer here-- only Windows XP!

motang
October 30th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Check out this, HP mini with Linux is Ubuntu based, seems like they will have their own customised interface.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/29/hps-new-mini-1000-and-mie-linux-make-netbooks-fun-again/

Hope this comes out in Australia, Dell are dragging their feet.
The first thing that grabbed me was that it's an HP (which I am a huge fan of) with Ubuntu on it!! I love the interface, it just makes that much more sense to have all you important stuff right there in front of you. I am planning on picking one up when the Ubuntu version is release next year. :-D

Ubuntu Joe
December 9th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Seriously, I'm freaking out waiting for this device. I'm stoked. I will buy one as soon as it's available . . . I might even get my wife the ridiculous Vivienne Tam Edition if they offer it with Ubuntu . . . She LOVES the clutch-like look of it . . .

Sigh, the womenz . . .

Tom--d
December 9th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I want that on my Desktop. A picture is kinda boring.

LoudNoiseElitist
December 18th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I just picked up the HP Mini 1030NR from Best Buy last week. I absolutely love it.

For those of you wondering, Ibex installs and runs flawlessly on it. Detects everything fine, and runs great. I even replaced the 1gig stick of ram with a 2gig.

The only real issue you will have is screen size. Some windows have the Ok/Apply/Cancel buttons chopped off.

prickly
January 14th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I have a question:

How would someone go about making an interface like that for Ubuntu for their own use / distribution?

My understanding is that HP will not be releasing the code for the MIE interface.

I just ordered mine today (can't wait to get it!)

mihai.ile
January 14th, 2009, 10:06 AM
And Nvidia binary drivers don't have sources either or skype, etc. and it's not illegal, lol...
By developping for Ubuntu (Linux in general) doesen't mean it has to be open source...

binbash
January 14th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Hp is selling this with 3 cell battery here , which makes it useless.

eentonig
January 14th, 2009, 01:35 PM
how long does it operates with that 3 cell battery? If it last at least 2 hours, that would be ok for me.