PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] partitioning help

heman22union
October 29th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Hello this is my first installation of Ubuntu. I have an 80gb hdd and I want to divide it up as follows 2 10gb partitions one for 8.04 Ubuntu Desktop and the other for Ubuntu Server, 59gb for Data, and 1gb for Swap. Here is what I had in the manual partition setup. http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm17/heman22union/Ubuntu/IMG_1574.jpg

and this is the error it gives me. http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm17/heman22union/Ubuntu/IMG_1575.jpg

any ideas?

Thanks
-heman

cyfur01
October 29th, 2008, 08:05 AM
If you're installing Ubuntu Desktop at the moment, change "/UbuntuDesktop" to "/". That way as far as the desktop installation is concerned, that partition is the root of the filesystem.

This will be local to the Desktop installation. Thus, you can reconfigure the mount points of each partition when you do you Server installation, and it will have no effect on where the Desktop installation will mount things.

heman22union
October 29th, 2008, 08:16 AM
ok i kind of understood what you said can you go into more detail using exactally what i should put. and another thing what about dual booting server/desktop what do i have to do to enable that?

cyfur01
October 29th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Going from your screenshot, when installing Ubuntu Desktop, the only thing you need to change is the mount point of "/dev/sda1". It should be changed from "/UbuntuDesktop" to "/". This way, when you launch Ubuntu Desktop, it will use /dev/sda1 for its filesystem, and will mount the server partition to "/UbuntuServer".

When you install Ubuntu Server, manually configure your partitions. For the first ext3 partition (which should be your Desktop installation), select it, the highlight "Use as:", then select "Ext3...", then highlight "mount point:", select "Enter manually" and set it to "/UbuntuDesktop". Do not format this partition, or else you will delete your desktop installation! Select the second ext3 partition (which should be your Server partition), and you will probably have to go through the same procedure, but select its mount point as "/" so that it will be the root directory for the Server installation. Also make sure to format the partition. For the third ext3 partition (which should be your Data partition), again modify it so that it will mount to "/Data". Finally, you may have to follow a similar procedure to set up the swap partition properly, although I think it's smart enough to use swap partitions as swap.

When the server install gets a ways further with its installation, then it should tell you that it was able to recognize the Desktop installation and that it wants to set up grub with the MBR. Accept this, and it will set up the dual booting. Do note that this will set up the boot options in the "/boot" folder of the Server partition, not the Desktop partition. Thus, if you update the kernel headers of the desktop installation, you will manually have to change the corresponding entries in "/UbuntuServer/boot/grub/menu.lst". This is pretty simple to figure out (you usually just change a couple numbers), and if you're worried about breaking the file, first create a backup copy:

sudo cp menu.lst menu.lst.oldThe alternative is to reset grub to boot from the Desktop partition after the server install is complete, which I'm not completely sure how to do.

After all is said and done, reboot and you should have the option of booting into either Ubuntu installation. If you run server, there should be a "/UbuntuDesktop" folder with the Ubuntu Desktop files in it, and vice versa for the Server installation.

heman22union
October 29th, 2008, 05:32 PM
well i ended up installing 2 partitions one at 79gb and one 1gb swap. i can resize those to set up the server right? and should i have 2 swap files or just one?

heman22union
October 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM
well i ended up installing 2 partitions one at 79gb and one 1gb swap. i can resize those to set up the server right? and should i have 2 swap files or just one?

fendres
October 29th, 2008, 05:59 PM
One swap should suffice. You can resize. Resizing should be a safe operation, but you never know. And since failure is drastic (data loss if not backed up), I'd prefer to plan ahead.

heman22union
October 29th, 2008, 09:36 PM
so would you guys recomend deleting all the partitions and then installing desktop then server...

cyfur01
October 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I've yet to have any issues with resizing.

If you've just installed Ubuntu and don't have any sensitive data, try resizing the partition. At worst, you'll just have to delete the partitions and restart.

heman22union
October 31st, 2008, 05:40 AM
Well I ended up installing Kubuntu bacause I'm more familiar with kde because I am familiar knoppix. Here are the correct partitions setup.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm17/heman22union/Ubuntu/IMG_1578.jpg

thanks for all your help.