PDA

View Full Version : Post your tattoos

~LoKe
October 10th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Let's see what kind of tattoo's the UF members have!

I'm getting this done in a couple weeks, but slightly modified.

http://photos-004.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v332/155/48/1666140004/n1666140004_3801_6472.jpg

aeiah
October 10th, 2008, 11:07 PM
i havent got any but my girlfriend uses ubuntu and she's got a flower on her arm that she got when she was drunk. does that count? :p

won't a tattoo like that limit your employability or arent you looking for the kind of jobs where it'd be an issue? a lot of companies have a no hand/face/neck tattoo policy here in the uk

~LoKe
October 10th, 2008, 11:09 PM
won't a tattoo like that limit your employability or arent you looking for the kind of jobs where it'd be an issue? a lot of companies have a no hand/face/neck tattoo policy here in the uk
I'm already in the Canadian Forces so it shouldn't be an issue, as long as I don't do anything to get kicked out. Also, with my resume, even if I do go civi-side, I don't think it'll limit my employment opportunities.

nowin4me
October 10th, 2008, 11:09 PM
For some reason Tattoos give me the creeps.

It's not anyone's fault. Just remember they are permanent and ask yourself do you really want it done.

Will you still want it when your 60? When your skin is all wrinkly?

I am not going to stop you from getting a tattoo but I would like to think about it.

I won't force you to think about it either.

It's your body and your choice. Look after it... It's the only one you will get... Unless there's an after life but I wont count on it.

aeiah
October 10th, 2008, 11:15 PM
the thing with the whole "it'll look crap when you're old" idea is that, well, everyone looks crap when they're old anyway.

why someone would want a fake tribal thing on their skin is beyond me though. its very cheesy and 90s.

bigken
October 10th, 2008, 11:18 PM
ive had tatoos for over 25 years the 1st 1 on me chest the other 2 both above me elbows so you cant see em in short sleave shirts if i could turn back time and be tatoo free i would
but must admit it has had no affect on my working or personal life each to there own

me old man had one on his old man lol ouch

aeiah
October 10th, 2008, 11:25 PM
one of my mates did an internship for a council planning office a while back, and there was an issue with the father of a girl who went to primary school. a lot of the other parents at the schoolgate complained about him and wanted to stop him from picking up his daughter after school.

anyway, an agreement was reached whereby he would be allowed only if he wore a hat, so it covered up the tattoo on his forehead that read "**** OFF".

ahhhaha. it was a bit of a rough area.

gn2
October 10th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I hate them, I think they're tacky and naff.

Especially on women.

xpod
October 10th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I used to consider having the kids names done but not now,there`s no way now i`m having all those tattoos done.

BugenhagenXIII
October 10th, 2008, 11:49 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/franticbleep/tattoo.jpg

Denestria
October 11th, 2008, 12:10 AM
On the back of my right shoulder I have a circular wave with drops of water flying off the crests, inside the circle is a sea turtle, coral and tropical fish. I had some pictures of it but I can't find them.

plb
October 11th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I have 3 but I'd never get one that's visible wearing a tshirt or shorts such as on the forearms, lower legs, neck, hand, etc. I have 2 on my upper arms and 1 on my chest. I agree with a previous poster that it kind of limits your employment opportunities in some places and I just don't care for it much regardless.

urukrama
October 11th, 2008, 01:06 AM

There are more of them in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=692680).

lisati
October 11th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Several of my in-laws' extended family have tattoos for cultural reasons (I don't), usually there's some kind of meaning to them. I saw an item on TV the other night about a Maori tattoist who was recently in London, UK, (?) for a tattooist's convention. One of the things he commented on was the need for sensitivity when basing the design of a tattoo on another culture's designs.

Dr Small
October 11th, 2008, 01:16 AM
for some reason tattoos give me the creeps.

i hate them,

+1

chucky chuckaluck
October 11th, 2008, 06:50 AM
i've thought about it, but someone who changes his wallpaper every five minutes is probably not the best candidate for tatooing. about the only thing i would consider is the names of all my cats.

earthpigg
October 11th, 2008, 07:35 AM
ive been thinking about getting "SPQR" on one arm and "USMC" on the other for years now.....

spawn.
October 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM
lol, well I see some folks are against tattoos. I guess I won't post any pictures of my full sleeves then...

aeiah
October 11th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I saw an item on TV the other night about a Maori tattoist who was recently in London, UK, (?) for a tattooist's convention. One of the things he commented on was the need for sensitivity when basing the design of a tattoo on another culture's designs.

i have two friends that are tattooists and know a few stories of things turning nasty and violent with regards to this issue. its a form of cultural appropriation for the sake of fashion, and i imagine its quite annoying if you're the one who's culture has been butchered.

techmarks
October 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I think they're ugly on men and women, but particularly on the women.

They look trashy and somewhat shady on people.

sanderella
October 11th, 2008, 01:17 PM
My daughter had a tattoo on her arm, now she is paying out a lot of money to have it removed by laser. I wouldn't do it if I were you. You can buy removable stick-on tattoos, try one of those for a year, and see if you still like it.

kittywittys
October 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM
i have 2. the one that i posted says "vivre" which is french for "to live" It means a lot to me. I took 3 years of french in school and I thought that the word was really pretty. the other tattoo is on my left shoulder. It is a blue star and the swirls are black. I know the pic is not the greatest.....the tattoo looks better now.....when i took the pic....i just got it done.

simtaalo
October 11th, 2008, 01:51 PM
i agree that most tats on people are tasteless and rubbish.especially a lot of the tribal designs and people who just go into a tat place when they're drunk and point at some picture in a book and say "want that one".

i thought long and hard about it, thought about whether i would be ok with it in 50 years time and i know i will.

http://www.homeofpoi.com/competition/media/s32842-18-0-antispintat.jpg

theres a tiny bit of work left to do, some shading n relining bits.

kittywittys
October 11th, 2008, 01:56 PM
i agree that most tats on people are tasteless and rubbish.especially a lot of the tribal designs and people who just go into a tat place when they're drunk and point at some picture in a book and say "want that one".

i thought long and hard about it, thought about whether i would be ok with it in 50 years time and i know i will.

http://www.homeofpoi.com/competition/media/s32842-18-0-antispintat.jpg

theres a tiny bit of work left to do, some shading n relining bits.

I am the same way. I though about both of my tattoos for about 4 years. I put both of the designs in my bathroom mirror. I figured that i look in the mirror everyday and i would see my tattoos everyday. So if I could not stand seeing those designs everyday for 4 years, there would be no way that i could handle seeing them on my body for life. I put the designs up when i was 14 years old....and now I am 18 and I got them both done in the last year. I got the "vivre" one first. then my star one was a graduation present from my mom.

epidemiks
October 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I've got a design I've been sitting on for about 7 years.
My only problem is finding a tattooist who will do it justice. it a fractal design, and most artists i show don't want to touch it.

a good tattoo that suits the owner is a beautiful thing

andrek
October 11th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I'd like to have one ( see the attachment ), but i'll probably wait 2 or 3 years to do it.

simtaalo
October 11th, 2008, 05:38 PM
see thats the kind of tattoo i dont really like, its jus an album cover. i can understand the album might have particular significance for you, but it still seems a really generic thing to have inked on your body

simtaalo
October 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I've got a design I've been sitting on for about 7 years.
My only problem is finding a tattooist who will do it justice. it a fractal design, and most artists i show don't want to touch it.

a good tattoo that suits the owner is a beautiful thing

my advice is goto the next big tattoo convention you can find and walk around til you find someone whose work you think would put them in good stead for your design.

Denestria
October 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM
lol, well I see some folks are against tattoos. I guess I won't post any pictures of my full sleeves then...

Who cares what they think? Their opinion wasn't even asked for. If I wanted to hear crap about what someone else thinks about my tattoo which is my own design on my skin I would talk to my mom.

andrek
October 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
see thats the kind of tattoo i dont really like, its jus an album cover. i can understand the album might have particular significance for you, but it still seems a really generic thing to have inked on your body

Well, this particular cover says more about me than a fractal thing or some japanese letters.

simtaalo
October 11th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Well, this particular cover says more about me than a fractal thing or some japanese letters.

does it really though?

why not take the cover as the base concept and extend it so it really does say something about you, as oppose to just saying you like g'n'r.

also think about it this way, how many other people are out there with the exact same thing tattooed on their body, whether or not they have the same connection to it you do, they still have exactly the same thing tatooed on themselves.

i mean you might think what im saying is stupid and thats fair enough, its your body you should do what you want. all im saying is that you could maybe put some more imagination and your personality into it instead of just carbon copying the album cover.

matthew
October 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
My own design.

andrek
October 11th, 2008, 06:58 PM
does it really though?

why not take the cover as the base concept and extend it so it really does say something about you, as oppose to just saying you like g'n'r.

(...)

Uhm, perhaps you're right.
But as I mentioned before, I'm just planning and considering having a tattoo. I hope I'll eventually come up with some specific idea which i'd like to have on my body :)

mr.propre
October 11th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I have one on my back, a bar-code + the text "Not For Sale"

I don't have a picture here with me, but I will post one Monday.

The original idea was to place it in my neck, but the world isn't open-minded enough for that. Somewhere I regret that decision, but I know I would regret it more when I come in a situation that the tattoo prevents me from achieving something. Or better sad, I would regret it that people preventing me from achieving something, because of my tattoo.

Like it or not, Tattoos are still taboo. That and the fact I'm a blood donor, prevents me from getting more tattoos.

simtaalo
October 11th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Uhm, perhaps you're right.
But as I mentioned before, I'm just planning and considering having a tattoo. I hope I'll eventually come up with some specific idea which i'd like to have on my body :)

i hope you can find something that works for you. take your time and it will come to you. took me years before i realised what was right for me.

markp1989
October 11th, 2008, 08:48 PM
A couple of my mates have tats, both arer artist, and designed there own.

I have always like tattoos, but have never seen a design that i liked enough to have it on my body permintly

Polygon
October 11th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I have one on my back, a bar-code + the text "Not For Sale"

I don't have a picture here with me, but I will post one Monday.

The original idea was to place it in my neck, but the world isn't open-minded enough for that. Somewhere I regret that decision, but I know I would regret it more when I come in a situation that the tattoo prevents me from achieving something. Or better sad, I would regret it that people preventing me from achieving something, because of my tattoo.

Like it or not, Tattoos are still taboo. That and the fact I'm a blood donor, prevents me from getting more tattoos.

you cant give blood if you have a tattoo?

kittywittys
October 11th, 2008, 10:06 PM
you cant give blood if you have a tattoo?

you cant give blood for a year after you get a tattoo. I donate blood as well. but i cant donate until april because I got a tattoo in april of this year. I guess its a safety issue. tattoos are associated with certain diseases due to the use of needles. So the red cross or other blood donation places want to be as safe as possible.

notwen
October 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM
got both of my shoulders covered. hand-drawn initials from when I was 18, traditional dragon and koi and will eventually finish off the shoulder blades. =]

i'll edit this post when i find them online.

PurposeOfReason
October 29th, 2008, 06:47 AM
This will be the first of a few for my back.

http://purposeofreason.deviantart.com/art/New-tattoo-102062431

blackened
October 29th, 2008, 07:24 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/franticbleep/tattoo.jpg

I could debate the truth behind that statement. Nice font though, and well executed as far as I can tell (a closer pic would probably do it more justice).

SomeGuyDude
October 29th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Not a great picture, and not all my ink. I swear I'm not actually that pale. :lolflag:

EdThaSlayer
October 29th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Do those "wannabe" real tattoos count? You know, the ones where you just have to apply water to some paper tattoo object, place a lot of pressure with that paper on your skin, and tadaa-you have a tattoo that will disappear in a day or two?

I don't have tattoos though, don't want to risk anything getting underneath my skin(besides just the tattoo ink).

bigken
October 29th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Do those "wannabe" real tattoos count? You know, the ones where you just have to apply water to some paper tattoo object, place a lot of pressure with that paper on your skin, and tadaa-you have a tattoo that will disappear in a day or two?

I don't have tattoos though, don't want to risk anything getting underneath my skin(besides just the tattoo ink).

we used to call them willie waffers when I was kid :lolflag:

rjmdomingo2003
October 29th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I donate blood periodically so I can't have tattoos... :(

alwez_loner_TZ
October 29th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I love tattoos and its on my bucket list... I still have to find a design the i like then i'll get on....

scizzo
October 29th, 2008, 10:39 AM

I'm getting this done in a couple weeks, but slightly modified.

http://photos-004.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v332/155/48/1666140004/n1666140004_3801_6472.jpg

Wow looks nice. Really nice. Should hurt a bit though. I usually like tattoos that you can hide with a shirt or something but some art on hands and neck looks really good IMO.

Good luck with it!

http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/guitar.gif

notwen
October 29th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Here's my ink. =]

http://www.notwen.org/img/tattoo_01.png
---
http://www.notwen.org/img/tattoo_02.png
---
http://www.notwen.org/img/tattoo_03.png
---
http://www.notwen.org/img/tattoo_04.png

spawn.
October 30th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I hate them, I think they're tacky and naff.

Especially on women.

Of all the things to hate in the world that are tacky and naff, I would say tattoos would be the least of my worries. But I get the feeling you must hate a lot of things as well that are even more trivial.

spawn.
October 30th, 2008, 12:47 PM
They look trashy and somewhat shady on people.

Well...had it been, widely, socially acceptable in every culture (or better yet, equated by virtually every religion to be a demonstration of devout faith), I'm sure you would share your enlightenment with those who had none. Either way, I prefer to go against the grain of what an imperfect man deems "more fit." I do admit that some standard is required to maintain some form of "natural" order.

denhamcoote
November 7th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Here's mine

http://www.denhamcoote.com/tat2.jpg

More details here (http://www.denhamcoote.com/inked)

spawn.
November 7th, 2008, 09:34 PM
You are a man of dedication and motivation.

Here's mine

http://www.denhamcoote.com/tat2.jpg

More details here (http://www.denhamcoote.com/inked)

BugenhagenXIII
November 7th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I could debate the truth behind that statement. Nice font though, and well executed as far as I can tell (a closer pic would probably do it more justice).

Yeah, I know alot of people wouldn't agree with the sentiment. I've always been a bit of a romatic though.

The font, if I remember correctly is actually Times New Roman. I gave the tattoo artist a couple of ideas of how I wanted it, and she ended up just typing it on the computer and printing it. I was worried it would give it too much of mechanical look, but it came out really nice. Because she was tracing the stencil, the letters weren't exactly the same.