PDA

View Full Version : Wal-mart now supports Linux,Mac

rab4567
October 29th, 2008, 05:53 AM
It seems Wal-mart has seen the light and is now supporting Linux and Mac for its online music store. Some times large corporations will be forced make the right decisions in a bad economy, but should have been no-brainer for them its looking rosey for linux.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/10/28/wal-marts-revamped-online-music-store-plays-nicely-with-mac-linux/

kostkon
October 29th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Forgetting the fact that it's Wal-Mart we are talking about, this is nothing but good news...

LaRoza
October 29th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Supporting Linux is good.

Also, title fixed ;)

JawsThemeSwimming428
October 29th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I agree, this is great. Wal-Mart is a huge retailer and if people start seeing that Linux is an acceptable OS for their music store it may spark an interest.

MasterNetra
October 29th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Supporting Linux is good.

Also, title fixed ;)

True and so are cheese puffs! :p I'm waiting for Gateway now to start selling PC's with Ubuntu on them like dell. This might take a while...

nu2this
October 29th, 2008, 06:50 AM
It's the real cheapy PCs bit WMT does sell linux PCs. It's been a while but I think they sold Ubuntu machines also one called goOS or something like that at one time.

darrenn
October 29th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Yes they did sell linux computers. So it's not that big of a deal that they now support linux.

Sporkman
October 30th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I was in WalMart today, I didn't see any linux computers (though they did have a small acer(?) netbook for around $350 - it had WinXP)...

Frak
October 30th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I was in WalMart today, I didn't see any linux computers (though they did have a small acer(?) netbook for around $350 - it had WinXP)...
Read the OP

It's about the music store.

Sporkman
October 30th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Read the OP

It's about the music store.

I know - but somebody mentioned WalMart linux notebooks. I have yet to see one in any WalMart.

zmjjmz
October 30th, 2008, 04:09 AM
They sold the gPC, but it kinda sucked, so they stopped selling it.
They still sell it online, just not in stores.

Oh, and Gizmodo put it pretty well with a picture of a Wal-Mart employee saying "What's a Lynux?"

Frak
October 30th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I know - but somebody mentioned WalMart linux notebooks. I have yet to see one in any WalMart.
We just got a Linux Acer Aspire in my little dinky town.

Flynn555
October 30th, 2008, 12:57 PM
walmart might support linux but i dont support walmart.

earthpigg
October 30th, 2008, 01:34 PM
it actually works out well.

-Wall Mart is the largest employer in the United States
-They underpay all of their employees
-Linux computers cost less
-Their employees are thus forced to get linux boxes
-Wall Mart is one of the few places that sell linux boxes
-What little pay Wall Mart employees recieve goes right back into wall mart
-Wall mart conquers the world

Flynn555
October 30th, 2008, 01:36 PM
it actually works out well.

-wall mart is the largest employer in the united states
-they underpay all of their employees
-linux computers cost less
-their employees are thus forced to get linux boxes
-wall mart is one of the few places that sell linux boxes
-what little pay wall mart employees recieve goes right back into wall mart
-wall mart conquers the world

qfmft

forrestcupp
October 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Cool. Last I saw (which was last week), they had completely taken down their online music store. I'm glad this is the reason they did that.

You usually can't get them in the stores, but you can get them on their web site.

richg
October 30th, 2008, 05:59 PM
My first Linux PC was bought online from Wal-Mart in 2003 for $200.00 US. AMD Athlon 1.4g cpu, 256mb ram, CD drive, floppy drive, Micro-Star integrated mobo, 30gb hard drive. Came with Lindows 4.0. Today it runs Ubuntu 8.04. Upgraded with DVD burner, and 1gb ram, Firewire PCI card for external hard drive. Added a removable hard drive rack. One hard drive, one OS.

Rich