PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Java jre/firefox problems

sadpony
October 29th, 2008, 05:35 AM
I am a complete beginner with Linux, having just installed Ubuntu less than a week ago. So far the only problem that I have found that I can't figure out how to fix is this:

When I try to view java sites on Firefox I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried to install (and I think I have successfully) Java, but I still get messages saying that Java is not turned on. Any ideas on how to fix this? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

wolfen69
October 29th, 2008, 05:38 AM
in your browser, type about:config and see if javascript.enabled is set to true.

sadpony
October 29th, 2008, 05:40 AM
in your browser, type about:config and see if javascript.enabled is set to true.

I checked that, and it is set to true

Nepherte
October 29th, 2008, 10:43 AM
What architecture are you using? 32bit or 64bit?

Javascript is something different than java. The browser takes care of javascript and a runtime environment takes care of java.

To install java and the browser plugin on 32bit:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

To install java and the browser plugin on 64bit:

sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre icedtea-gcjwebplugin

jespdj
October 29th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Note that there are different implementations of Java available for Ubuntu. There's Sun Java, OpenJDK Java and GNU Java.

The best one to use is Sun Java (if you're using 32-bit Ubuntu). Install it with the instructions that Nepherte already mentioned:

And then make sure that Sun Java 6 is the Java that's used on your machine:

sudo update-alternatives --config java
Select Sun Java 6 in the menu that this command presents you with.

sadpony
October 29th, 2008, 03:03 PM
What architecture are you using? 32bit or 64bit?

Javascript is something different than java. The browser takes care of javascript and a runtime environment takes care of java.

To install java and the browser plugin on 32bit:

To install java and the browser plugin on 64bit:

sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre icedtea-gcjwebplugin

I would assume that I am running 32-bit, but I am not 100% sure. Is there a way a can check that?

Sarmacid
October 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM
uname -pOutputs the type of processor you're using. Should say something with 86 if it's 32. Sorry about the little amount of info but I can't access linux right now x_x

Nepherte
October 29th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Type

uname -m
If it says "x86_64", you are running 64bit. If it says something else like i386, i686, i586 or x86 you are running 32bit.

sadpony
October 29th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Type

uname -m
If it says "x86_64", you are running 64bit. If it says something else like i386, i686, i586 or x86 you are running 32bit.

awesome, I'm using 64bit and had installed the 32bit so I fixed it and it works like a charm. Thanks for the help!