PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation on HP Laptop

BrianDigitron
October 29th, 2008, 03:51 AM
What I was trying to do is dual boot my laptop with vista and ubuntu. I got as far as booting from the cd to install and it just hangs there.

and to add I have set aside 20 gigs of space (didnt even give a volume indiction for windows so my harddrive just reads like it 20 gigs smaller)

I have AMD 64 x2 dual processors 1.6 ghz. 1gig of ram.

So does anyone have any pointers. I read some of the other documents but the problems do not appear to be like mine.

BrianDigitron
October 29th, 2008, 05:01 AM
nobody? I just tried the alt cd, and that one when booted to did nothing just a black screen

coderipper1983
October 29th, 2008, 05:05 AM
how long have you had your laptop?? how has vista been runing?? I would recommend memtest to see if memory has failed.

BrianDigitron
October 29th, 2008, 03:25 PM
for over year, it has been running excellent. I'll try that memory tester tried that before and it just hanged there.

Astinsan
October 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I have a HP amd 64bit laptop too... If you are trying the 8.10 version of ubuntu.. it hangs because of issues with the bios. 8.04.1 should run perfect. I am trying to figure out what it is doing the hangs as we speak. Also stay away from 64bit distros since you don't have enough memory to make it worth while. I have 3 gigs of ram and it isn't enough to justify the 64bit addressing. It is a little faster but not noticeable on older 32bit programs. If belnder becomes 64bit then I will do it for sure.

Here is a good howto for HP laptops.

http://aldeby.org/blog/index.php/howto-ubuntu-linux-on-hp-pavilion-dv2000-dv6000-dv9000-series-laptops#installing

Makes it a lot easier if you use someone elese howto.