PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft slugs aged care centres

FranMichaels
October 29th, 2008, 03:13 AM
MICROSOFT will rip an estimated $70 million out of the aged care sector's IT budget over the next 18 months as it forces users to pay full commercial rates for previously discounted software.
http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,24561082-5013040,00.html
:(

Something to remember about proprietary software, even if discounted or zero monetary cost... No guarantees it will stay that way, one is at their mercy, they have the source code, and may just have you locked in due to file formats or just plain support, bug fixing and the like.
A harsh lesson, but hopefully something good can come of it, if it inspires a move to a less restricted system.

my 2 cents.

Bölvağur
October 29th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I think they are selling it too cheap. It only costs the same as low end computer

LaRoza
October 29th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I think they are selling it too cheap.
Yes, that is a symptom of a monopoly.

It only costs the same as low end computer

Which adds up and is not "only" for everyone.

handy
October 29th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I think MS know that their peak has been, they can see better than us that they have lost to FOSS in much of the world. They will grab what they can where they can as they try to develop & implement new business strategies for maximizing their profit in the future.

They will always be there, though they are waning already & this effect will snowball.

stinger30au
October 29th, 2008, 07:17 AM
i hope they all dump microsoft products and move to linux in one huge leap and then just send yearly donations to their favourite linux distro

job well done

EdThaSlayer
October 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Hopefully this failure will show an example to the rest of these care centers for the old. :)
Don't trust Microsoft unless you have a written document enforceable in court.

smoker
October 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM
the recent changes in policy by ms seems to be 'grab the moolah' while they can, and stuff the 'public image'. i suppose they see so many of these organisations now jumping ship to opensource that they have decided to grab what they can in the way of revenue before it is too late! it's a short-sighted policy, only going to result in more and more defections to the alternatives,