PDA

View Full Version : Phoronix: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

Sef
October 29th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Phoronix (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_bench_2008&num=1) ran some tests and found that Ubuntu is getting slower.

Has anyone noticed that? I have. I have been using Ibex and the top right icons often load at least 30 seconds slower than the tool bar. They used to be much faster.

LaRoza
October 29th, 2008, 02:58 AM
That is a hard question to answer.

Is Ubuntu getting slower?

Parts of it are.

I don't think Ubuntu itself is getting slower, I just think it has more by default. The way I run it, it is faster than Debian.

Grant A.
October 29th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Isn't this technically a hardware dependent topic?

LaRoza
October 29th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Isn't this technically a hardware dependent topic?

Not if the various versions are tested on the same hardware.

tuxxy
October 29th, 2008, 03:02 AM
I think some areas may be slower but I hope they will get fixed and also its worth it just for that bootup time :)

WWSmith36
October 29th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Yeah I noticed that as well. I also noticed many more startup processes and daemons running on boot.

Ubuntu appears to be getting bloated. I hope this trend does not continue.

vishzilla
October 29th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I found intrepid boot to be quicker. As WWSmith36 mentioned there are too many start up services

kk0sse54
October 29th, 2008, 05:22 AM
I thought I was imagining things when I thought Ubuntu was slower. It had a horrible boot up at first but after slimming it down a bit it seems to have gotten better.

vishzilla
October 29th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Why doesn't Phoronix test the other distros?

cariboo
October 29th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I take it you didn't read the article, they do say they are going to test other distros to see if this is a common problem.

As far as my experience goes, I found hardy to be slow copying files when using Nautilus, and its boot time is 3 seconds slower than Intrepid on the the same computer. Programs seem to load faster on Intrepid too.

Jim