PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot boot after upgrade to 8.10

feedmecereal
October 29th, 2008, 01:39 AM
I just upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 and I cannot boot. I get to the boot splash screen then it stops part of the way through and shows an error message. It pauses for a few minutes before displaying another error message:

Server Authorization directory (daemon/SErvAuthDir) is set to /var/lib/gdm but is not owned by user 108 and group 118. Please correct the ownership or GDM configuration and restart GDM.

Please help!! What do I do?

ad_267
October 29th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I'm only guessing here, but you could try changing the group and owner of /var/lib/gdm. I'm not sure about that though, it might be that the ownership is correct but GDM is configured incorrectly.

Can you enter commands into the terminal? You might have to switch to another tty using Ctl-Alt-F1, you can switch back again with Ctrl-Alt-F7. Otherwise you can get a recovery login form the boot menu.

Can you check that the file /etc/gdm/gdm.conf has these lines:

User=gdm
Group=gdm
You can use "less /etc/gdm/gdm.conf" to view the file.

Then you can change the permissions with:

sudo chown gdm /var/lib/gdm
sudo chgrp gdm /var/lib/gdm

feedmecereal
October 29th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I tried that and it didn't work.

After I restarted I wrote down some error messages that might help you figure this out:

Starting Kernel log daemon
It had some other stuff right after that but I didn't have time to write it down. But it did give this at the end:

start-stop-daemon: Unable to open pid file '/var/run/klogd/kmsgpipe.pid' for writing: Read-only file system

ad_267
October 29th, 2008, 02:25 AM
How much work would it be to use the live cd to back up all of your data and then do a clean install? That's probably the easiest thing to do.

feedmecereal
October 29th, 2008, 02:27 AM
That might be a whole lot more work than I would like to do because I have a lot of data on /home. I guess I should have repartitioned like I have read about.

Do you know what the problem might be?

ad_267
October 29th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I'm not really sure but someone else might be able to help. It seems like the file permissions have been messed up somehow. The "read-only file system" message seems to indicate that root does not have permission to write to a file it needs to.

wilshire
October 30th, 2008, 01:37 AM
i am having the same problem.

i've been using ubuntu since breezy, and *someday* i'd like to be able to upgrade it without it breaking.

my fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda1
UUID=69d1535c-ded5-4b51-b73c-645887624b98 / ext3 relatime 0 1
# /dev/sda3
UUID=c95064c7-c2e8-486a-b2c3-51f99740ae30 /home ext3 relatime 0 2
# /dev/sda2
UUID=4ca9cea0-76e2-4da8-a72f-433efe0d55de none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
#usbfs
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0

wakebdr
November 1st, 2008, 04:22 PM
Same problem here too. I tried to upgrade from 8.04.

It looks like the whole filesystem is being mounted read-only, thus the errors we are seeing.

feedmecereal
November 1st, 2008, 06:10 PM
Oh well, I just ended up reinstalling Ubuntu on another partition and then moving my old /home to my new installation.

acearle
November 3rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
I have the same problem, but found that if I boot using 2.6.24-21-generic instead of 2.6.17-7-generic it works.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to poke around a bit and see what I can find, but....ermmm....I'm a danger to myself and others editing conf files, lol!

acearle
November 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
Another error that might be related is the following endless loop on boot:

sd 2:0:0:0: [sdd] add. Sense: No Additional Sense Information
sd 2:0:0:0: [sdd] add. Sense Key: No Sense [current]

Ruiner75
November 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
Same "Unable to open pid file '/var/run/klogd/kmsgpipe.pid' for writing: Read-only file system" problem here. Strange thing is if i boot in recovery mode and then click on "resume boot" it work all just fine. Only problem: gedit doesn't work anymore...

macvr
November 3rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
i also have the same problem...
this seems to be rare and fond only 3 such instances while googling yday, one in the french forum, and the others in chinese and german ubuntu forums
but may be it has increased by now
but no one knew the fix

i have filed a bug report... in launchpad>>>

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/293220

pls add ur info too to speeden the bug resolution

macvr
November 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
i'm able to use ubuntu now, i had, still have similar problem but, everything now works for me in the recovey mode> check my post the process i have done are here, might help someone
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=966356

falken78
November 6th, 2008, 06:11 PM
major issues here aswell... not to happy right now.. last to upgrades has been a mess.

* Hangs at boot. Does not matter what kernal img I pick.
* I have tried to remove "relatime" option from fstab - saw a note about this in another forum...
* the system is monted in RW when i pick recovery mode. Only having problem with system disk (mount point /) not my other disk /home (and so on)
* Saw some notes about /etc/nsswitch.conf (something like this the filename was) and that ldap should be removed. I did not have anythinig saying ldap in this file..

pleaese help me...