PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do You use "Disk Usage Analyzer???

suomalainen
October 29th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Ubunteros!

I recently upgrade from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntu 8.04LTS.

My PC has two HDD which are 500GB each. The second HDD can only be accessed and "turned on" by going to PLACES --> COMPUTER and clicking on the HDD I want "on" and then entering a password.

When I was using Ubuntu 7.10 w/o the second HHD "Turned on" I could run the Disk Usage Analyzer tool and see how much of the 500GB of my drive I was using.

Today, after having upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04LTS it appears that when I run the Disk Usage Analyzer tool it shows the total GB of both HDD's regardless if one is off or on.

I have attached two SCREENSHOTS. Screnshot 1 is the analysis I received when my extra HDD was "turned off" SCREENSHOT 2 is when both drives are "on".

I'm confused as to how to read the stats the Disk Usage Analyzer has rendered. Especially when my second HDD was turned off and I'm seeing there is 902.1GB. on what is suppose to be a single 500GB drive.

Then when my second HDD is "on" there is a total of 1367.9GB. But each HDD is just 500GB. So how can there be more GB then there really should be?

Most likely I'm running the Disk Usage Analyzer tool incorrectly. Thus, any advice or insight as to how I should read the results or even perform them would be greatly appreciated to learn about.

Thanks for the help and assistance!

suomalainen
October 29th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Any advice?

porteclefs
October 29th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I don't have a GUI and I've never used it, but check out this link:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/check-your-disk-usage-on-ubuntu-with-disk-usage-analyzer/

suomalainen
October 29th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks porteclefs but this doesn't go to the level of detail I need. But I'm happy that you pointed me to a new forum. Thanks!

philinux
October 29th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Click edit>prefs in analyser.

You can tick/untick which disk to analyse.

suomalainen
October 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM
There we go... Many Thanks!!!!

philinux
October 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
You're welcome.

cggaret
October 29th, 2008, 05:18 PM
You might also want to check out this page (http://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab). It'll show you how to mount your other drive at boot.