PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts two days before release

Evaari
October 29th, 2008, 12:17 AM
So I felt like sharing my quite positive experiences with the RC of v.8.10
Some days ago I decided to try Ubuntu on my new computer. What kept me away in the past was the lack of working ATI drivers, this time I have the Nvidia 9500, which I know is much better supported.

Starting with 8.04 and installing the community drivers, I tried to install and run a game (Guild Wars going in details). It sucked. I was thinking of trying Cedega for the third time, hoping that this time I won't waste my money, but before doing so I decided to give 8.10 a go.

First thing that happens, even before I installed my 3G modem (Network-manager 0.7 is now integrated and works with mobile networking, great plus!) was a pop-up telling me that I could install the official Nvidia drivers. The installation worked the 2nd time I tried, no big deal.
After updaing and surfing the Cedega forums, I decided to go with Wine just once more. Wine usually gives me the creeps, even the simplest tasks may not work (the Warhammer Online patcher etc.)
Now what really happended was something I would never expect to see on my own untweaked computer and installation; it really worked, it worked really good! I dare say I had a better FPS than on ******* Vista (which have been a pain in the *** the last couple days, it simply takes up all resources of even the best PC.)

Next up was VirtualBox which didn't work out-of-the-box on 8.04 either. Going with the OSE version on 8.10, it worked right away and with an amazing speed. Running Windows for things like Visual Studio is a must, so having this actually working this well appeals to me that finally Linux have got everything I couldn't have just one release ago, unless I spent a month tweaking everything which I don't intend to do.

Another thing is that the sound driver is no longer "locking" itself to a certain program. I no longer have to quit one application in order to enable the sound in another application.

So my point with this post is ultimately to spread the word of a Linux distribution that, with the right hardware (non-ATI, sorry but that's my experience), will actually do what most people need, even gaming. Now I don't intend to even try Cedega or Crossover right now, but I believe that one of them is the missing link that finally connects gaming with Linux.
The 8.10 version comes with improvements that I and probably many other user have been screaming for, for so long, that I can now call myself a Linux user. I believe that this will be a great step, not just for Ubuntu, but for the promotion of Linux in general.

That's all I got, I hope just I have encouraged some more people to give it another try. This time, ******* is gone for good.

Evaari
October 29th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Sorry, it seems I didn't put my thread in the right category. Would an admin move it for me please?

OffHand
October 29th, 2008, 12:36 AM
You can download CrossOver for free today: http://down.codeweavers.com/

Evaari
October 29th, 2008, 12:49 AM
You can download CrossOver for free today: http://down.codeweavers.com/
I know...
The problem is not whether it's free or not, it is whether it works and if it's necessary, which it isn't in my case.

rileinc
October 29th, 2008, 01:01 AM
The 8.10 version comes with improvements that I and probably many other user have been screaming for, for so long, that I can now call myself a Linux user.Oh gee, now you got me excited for the release. :D