PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems installing Ubuntu on PC

rmcellig
October 28th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I started up from the CD I created for my PC. I am running XP Pro with no external devices attached. When I restart, the live CD starts to boot, I get the Ubuntu logo and then I am stuck at a prompt that says:

(initramfs) with the Flashing cursor

What should I do?

Pumalite
October 28th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Post your specs.

rmcellig
October 28th, 2008, 11:18 PM
What specs are you looking for?

Pumalite
October 28th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Memory? Graphics?

rmcellig
October 28th, 2008, 11:25 PM
512MB of RAM

NVIDIA Geoforce2 MX/MX 400

Windows XP Pro with service pack 2

Therion
October 28th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I would suggest you download the Ubuntu "Alternate CD" and try to install from that.

rmcellig
October 28th, 2008, 11:28 PM
OK thanks!!

x C0MMAND0 x
October 28th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Try the windows installer. It is awesome. It also allows you to still access all of your windows files. I simply target my music app to my itunes folder and voila, all my music was there.

http://wubi-installer.org/

Check it out if you are interested in maintaining a dual-boot system. It simply makes it so when your computer loads you choose what you want to boot into (Ubuntu or Windows).

Good luck!

Pumalite
October 28th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I would suggest you download the Ubuntu "Alternate CD" and try to install from that.
Beat me to it!

Therion
October 28th, 2008, 11:35 PM
OK thanks!!
And burn that CD slooooooow... 8x or slower. I suggest 4x actually...

gmjs
October 28th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Hello,

What HDD interface does your PC have? Are you using IDE or SATA?

If you're using SATA, check which specification it's using in the BIOS. I think you'll need to use SATA with AHCI rather than SATA with an IDE interface.

If your HDD is IDE, then I'm stuck!

Please note that you will break any Windows installation you are running on the same machine if you change this setting. Windows XP also needs extra drivers during the initial setup ("F6 for Third Party Drivers" step) if you did reinstall XP.

You SHOULD (with definite emphasis on SHOULD!) be able to change SATA spec. from IDE to AHCI and back again and then still be able to boot your XP installation, just to test that this solves the Ubuntu issue. I'd be much happier if you had a backup first though!

Hope this helps.

Graham

Pumalite
October 28th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Download ImgBurn and install it:
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
Once installed; go to Mode>ISO>Burn
Select 1x as speed of burn

rmcellig
October 29th, 2008, 10:37 AM
The wubi installer worked great. My only problem was that I wanted to create a 100GB partition and it seems that this installer only allows a maximum of 30GB. Is there any way of changing the partition size or am I limited to only 30GB?

tugh
November 2nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
And use a good quality blank CD