PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how shall i use this new file system,and another question

stonecoldjha
October 28th, 2008, 10:35 PM
i came to know that ubuntu8.10 is packed with the new linux kernel 2.6.27,which supports a new file system called ext4.does that mean that when i install ubuntu8.04,i can choose ext4 instead of ext3 for my root partition?will it have any advantages,i mean will it make the system faster?
i would also like to know if the new kernel dramatically improves the system speed?

cariboo
October 28th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I would wait until kernel 2.6.28 as ext4 has been marked stable. In the kernel that Intrepid is using it is still marked test. If you want to use it be aware that it might break something.

The installation doesn't support ext4 yet, and I'm not sure if the Ubuntu kernel supports it, so you might have to compile a custom kernel to use it.

Jim

rickycodie
October 28th, 2008, 10:40 PM
i would not install for a week or so after the initial release, this is due to unforseen bugs. that being said, the answer to your second question is probably not, as most of the new features that i have read about have been battery saving features for laptops.

stonecoldjha
October 28th, 2008, 10:40 PM
so it means that it improves the performance and speed.

cariboo
October 28th, 2008, 11:20 PM
My system seems to feel faster then Hardy, I'm using my laptop with Linux Mint Light on it, and my desktop system with Intrepid installed definitely feels faster.

Jim

rickycodie
October 28th, 2008, 11:26 PM
here you go

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/everything_you_need_know_about_ubuntu_810_intrepid _ibex