PDA

View Full Version : Yay.... We have a new logo and slogan. :P

lukjad
October 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/b62ad928-5e53-4778-af82-6d7189414f95/logo.jpg?size=l
Greater Montreal – Room to make it Real.

How much would you pay for the logo and the slogan?

How about:
$487,000 on the logo, with another $200,000 for the slogan.

](*,)

Grant A.
October 28th, 2008, 10:26 PM
It's a nice logo and slogan, but how on Earth do you pay $400,000 for a rainbow colored 'M'? Wow, I need to get into that business.

Btw, the colors in the M remind me of the old apple logo :)

lukjad
October 28th, 2008, 10:29 PM
It's not bad, but it's not great, and definately not worth it.

Grant A.
October 28th, 2008, 10:33 PM

If you want to see bad look at the London 2012 Olympics logo, they payed $2M for the atrocity.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:JF56A9J_HEmRaM:http://www.itemsofpotentialinterest.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/london2012.gif

lukjad
October 28th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Ugh. Well, I just can't see why it costs so much to make something so bad.

jimi_hendrix
October 28th, 2008, 11:01 PM
i need to get a job like this

pp.
October 28th, 2008, 11:04 PM
http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/b62ad928-5e53-4778-af82-6d7189414f95/logo.jpg?size=l

Seeing how I'd have little use for an "M" in my forum name, I don't think I'd pay anything at all.

billgoldberg
October 28th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I have to work xx years to make that much money, and some firm got that for something I could whip up in the Gimp in 15 minutes.

Yes, it's that easy to come up with some logo and slogan like that.

lukjad
October 28th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I'll just call up the Mayor and tell him he was ripped off now... ;)

smoker
October 28th, 2008, 11:47 PM
brings to mind the 'dire straits' song, 'money for nothing!' :-)

i take it this will have been Montreal tax-payer's money?

jimi_hendrix
October 29th, 2008, 12:33 AM

and CHICKS FOR FREE!

lukjad
October 29th, 2008, 12:48 AM

i take it this will have been Montreal tax-payer's money?
But of course! You mean to say that where you come from, politians don't squander your money?

smoker
October 29th, 2008, 01:02 AM
But of course! You mean to say that where you come from, politians don't squander your money?

unfortunately politicians seem to be the same the world over when it comes to wasting money. :confused:

dracule
October 29th, 2008, 01:06 AM
make what real?

benny bronx
October 29th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I kinda like it. If you flip it around, it looks like a puppet getting held up at gunpoint.

Saint Angeles
October 29th, 2008, 01:14 AM
i just used GIMP to make a better logo. it only took me 11 seconds...

if anybody wants to pay me several hundred thousand dollars to make them a similar logo, lemme know! i might even spend more than 15 seconds on it!

urukrama
October 29th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Can't say I like the colours...

cardinals_fan
October 29th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I think we paid $80k for "Big Wild Life"...
http://www.bigwildlife.net/images/masthead.gif

dracule
October 29th, 2008, 02:06 AM
i think we paid $80k for "big wild life"...
http://www.bigwildlife.net/images/masthead.gif
lol!!!!!

Delever
October 29th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I kinda like it. If you flip it around, it looks like a puppet getting held up at gunpoint.

Then give it an official name. Sockpuppet.

Tamlynmac
October 29th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I just have to ask:
Did they hire a contracting firm (run a friend) or did they they open this to bids?

In our community we had the elementary school children design a number of logo and slogans for the community (for free). After seeing both the children's entries and the "Colorful M", I'd say quite a few of these children may have extremely lucrative futures.

Please post how this contract was acquired, as I'm certain many of the children and their families could use the extra cash.:lolflag:

Sporkman
October 30th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Greater Montreal – Room to make it Real.

How about:

](*,)

Very fruity.

Grant A.
October 30th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Very fruity.

No kidding, I thought it was for San Francisco at first glance.

No offense to anyone here.

Mr. Picklesworth
October 30th, 2008, 03:53 AM
That has nothing on this!

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2796/ogcad4.jpg
(Tilt your head sideways)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/22/ogc_logo/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1901656/OGC-unveils-new-logo-to-red-faces.html

To rub it in, that thing cost British taxpayers £14000. It is essentially OGC written in Arial with letter spacing shrunken to 0. One person could have done it in five seconds.

Grant A.
October 30th, 2008, 03:55 AM
That has nothing on this!

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2796/ogcad4.jpg
(Tilt your head sideways)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/22/ogc_logo/

To rub it in, that thing cost British taxpayers £14000. It is essentially OGC written in Arial with letter spacing shrunken to 0. One person could have done it in five seconds.

I don't quite see what you mean by, "turn your head sideways" are you implying that it looks like a power button?

Mr. Picklesworth
October 30th, 2008, 03:58 AM
The other sideways. Hint: The feet are on the right.
Yes, it's completely immature.

Grant A.
October 30th, 2008, 03:59 AM
The other sideways. Hint: The feet are on the right.
Yes, it's completely immature.

:lolflag:

You ow mi a nw kybrd 4 te wter i spt n it

pp.
October 30th, 2008, 09:20 AM
It is essentially OGC written in Arial with letter spacing shrunken to 0. One person could have done it in five seconds.

Yes, anyone can spot the typical circular base for the letters "O" and "G" of the Arial type face, and the overlapping of the letters you will get when there is absolutely no space between individual letters.

koenn
October 30th, 2008, 12:06 PM

.. something I could whip up in the Gimp in 15 minutes.
Yes, it's that easy to come up with some logo and slogan like that.

You shouldn't underestimate the work that goes in the design of such a logo and slogan.
First af all there's the technical side. It's not just something you gimp together, you need to be able to describe it geometrically (lines, angles, curves, intersections, ...) so that it can be reproduced in any size and on any surface (not just flat but e.g. on curved surfaces such as cars etc.)
You also need to specify the colors in different formats (web, print - possibly for several printing techniques), for all applicable media (screen, paper, clothing, metal surfaces, ..), possibly diversify for use on colored backgrounds, etc. You may need to design several versions according to their use (digital for use in word processor docs, printable for use on letterhead, black-and-white or gray scales for faxes or drafts, ...)

Then there's the symbolism. A logo and the accompanying slogan should express a message. So you'd need to investigate how the people (or the authorities) of Montreal think and feel about their city, and express that through form and color, and enhance the message with a few words.

It is obvious that there is a horizontal divide in the logo that visually splits the M in 2 parts, representing the 2 language communities in Montreal. The 5 colors represent the 5 most important aspects of Montreal : blue for the waters surrounding the city, green to represent the green aspect of Montreal, ....

The colors are also the colors of the flag and coat of arms of the city, a reference to its historical heritage. The attentive observer will also notice small details such as the small protrusion in the top left corner of the M, reminiscent of the "fleur the lis", again a reference to the ancient coat of arms of Montreal, but also to the French monarchy and thus to the etymology of the city's name, and to the flag of Quebec, an indication of Montreal's current day political context.
This is further emphasized in the slogan, withs refers simultaneously to the modern ("keeping it real"), a vision of the future ("make it a reality"), future ambitions in a context of historical heritage ("make it royal" - the 'real' in Montreal comes from Mont Real - Mount Royal)

it requires effort and skill to build so many layers of meaning into a logo that still needs to be relatively simple, reproducible (see technical aspects, and visually attractive. That alone makes the logo worth its price.

Lastly, the marketing people need to come up with explanations, clarifications, justifications, and other marketing babble like the one I just wrote.

So there's a lot more to it that 15 minutes of GIMP, and we all have to eat.

nothingspecial
October 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
You shouldn't underestimate the work that goes in the design of such a logo and slogan.
First af all there's the technical side. It's not just something you gimp together, you need to be able to describe it geometrically (lines, angles, curves, intersections, ...) so that it can be reproduced in any size and on any surface (not just flat but e.g. on curved surfaces such as cars etc.)
You also need to specify the colors in different formats (web, print - possibly for several printing techniques), for all applicable media (screen, paper, clothing, metal surfaces, ..), possibly diversify for use on colored backgrounds, etc. You may need to design several versions according to their use (digital for use in word processor docs, printable for use on letterhead, black-and-white or gray scales for faxes or drafts, ...)

Then there's the symbolism. A logo and the accompanying slogan should express a message. So you'd need to investigate how the people (or the authorities) of Montreal think and feel about their city, and express that through form and color, and enhance the message with a few words.

It is obvious that there is a horizontal divide in the logo that visually splits the M in 2 parts, representing the 2 language communities in Montreal. The 5 colors represent the 5 most important aspects of Montreal : blue for the waters surrounding the city, green to represent the green aspect of Montreal, ....

The colors are also the colors of the flag and coat of arms of the city, a reference to its historical heritage. The attentive observer will also notice small details such as the small protrusion in the top left corner of the M, reminiscent of the "fleur the lis", again a reference to the ancient coat of arms of Montreal, but also to the French monarchy and thus to the etymology of the city's name, and to the flag of Quebec, an indication of Montreal's current day political context.
This is further emphasized in the slogan, withs refers simultaneously to the modern ("keeping it real"), a vision of the future ("make it a reality"), future ambitions in a context of historical heritage ("make it royal" - the 'real' in Montreal comes from Mont Real - Mount Royal)

it requires effort and skill to build so many layers of meaning into a logo that still needs to be relatively simple, reproducible (see technical aspects, and visually attractive. That alone makes the logo worth its price.

Lastly, the marketing people need to come up with explanations, clarifications, justifications, and other marketing babble like the one I just wrote.

I see

smoker
October 30th, 2008, 12:34 PM
...Lastly, the marketing people need to come up with explanations, clarifications, justifications, and other marketing babble like the one I just wrote.

these guys must be good talkers:lolflag:

lukjad
October 30th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Point taken. I still don't like the look of it, but I get what you mean.

pp.
October 30th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I still don't like the look of it, but I get what you mean.

It's a logo. It has been designed with many purposes in mind. Being liked need not be one of them.

dracule
October 30th, 2008, 04:55 PM
There is this huge list of stuff you cannot do.

I remember I was volunteered to make an educational program, and the organization sent me around 15 pages of what I couldnt do for a logo.

I couldnt use certain angles, certain colors, certain geometric shapes, put it in a certain position, have certain phrases in my program, have certain patterns, and the list went on. Most of these things were taken as tokens of gangs, warlords and what not in the area the software was going.

so designing a "safe" logo for the world to see, would be quite difficult.

lukjad
October 30th, 2008, 05:00 PM
It's a logo. It has been designed with many purposes in mind. Being liked need not be one of them.
Look, I'm not saying that it must be one way or another, and I understand that a lot of work went into it. But I have a right to like it or not. Just because someone worked hard at it doesn't mean that I must like it. I don't. I just have more respect for those who designed it. And to a certain extent, being a Montrealer gives me the right to have a logo that I like. If you don't think so, that's a whole other issue.

Canis familiaris
October 30th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Look, I'm not saying that it must be one way or another, and I understand that a lot of work went into it. But I have a right to like it or not. Just because someone worked hard at it doesn't mean that I must like it. I don't. I just have more respect for those who designed it. And to a certain extent, being a Montrealer gives me the right to have a logo that I like. If you don't think so, that's a whole other issue.

'Course you do.

pp.
October 30th, 2008, 05:07 PM
But I have a right to like it or not. Just because someone worked hard at it doesn't mean that I must like it.

Yes, of course. You do have the right to like it, dislike it, ignore it or like it on even numbered days only. I was only saying that the creator of the logo may not have been under the obligation to make a logo anyone actually likes.

I have known very "valuable" logos which grated on my nerves every time I saw or heard them.

koenn
October 30th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Point taken. I still don't like the look of it, but I get what you mean.
well ...
While most of what I said is (probably) true, you can still read that entire post of mine as "you can get away with charging $487,000 for designing a logo as long as you can come up with some talk about the symbolism and meanings and airy stuff like that"

mrgnash
October 30th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Can anybody say "kickbacks"?