PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Have Vista/Ubuntu dual boot , Want to add xubuntu

toulon
October 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I have Vista and Ubuntu on my laptop . I read somewhere on here that you can add Xubuntu through Ubuntu , but it didnt say anything about having the 3 of them installed on one computer . So I guess my question is....is this safe to do and how do I do about it ? . I really dont want to have to use a CD of any kind .If possible , i'd like to get Xubuntu through Ubuntu the way I got Ubuntu through Vista ( wubi ) .:confused::confused:

snowpine
October 28th, 2008, 10:20 PM
In Ubuntu, open a terminal (Applications->Accessories) and type:

sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop

Then, log out. At the log in screen, you can go to the Sessions menu and choose between Xfce (Xubuntu) or Gnome (Ubuntu).

If you decide you don't like Xubuntu,

sudo aptitude remove xubuntu-desktop

You could also set up Xubuntu on a completely separate partition, in which case you would have a "true" triple boot. But, I recommend my method since it saves disk space and gives you full access to your personal files and settings whether you're using Xfce or Gnome.

Good luck!

toulon
October 29th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I tried what you said....partly . I typed in the sudo part ok , but when it asked for my password , nothing showed on the screen . I pushed enter and a password error came up . What did I do wrong ? Im new to Ubuntu....so Im guessing I did something wrong....or I missed something .

snowpine
October 29th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I tried what you said....partly . I typed in the sudo part ok , but when it asked for my password , nothing showed on the screen . I pushed enter and a password error came up . What did I do wrong ? Im new to Ubuntu....so Im guessing I did something wrong....or I missed something .

Type your password and press enter. Your password is invisible on the screen, for security purposes. :)