PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation from internal Hard-drive

voodoo_child
October 28th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Can I 'preload' something onto a brand new hard-drive, and then put the hard-drive into a laptop and boot into it?

I ask because
-Ive no CD drive
-USB stick booting isn't supported
-Have no floppy drive
-Don't understand network booting
-The hard-drive is new, there's nothing on it, so I can't use the 'install from within windows' methods.

So... can I connect the brand new hard-drive to another computer (using a 2.5" caddy), and put *something* (im not sure what, a bootloader?) onto it, to enable me to then put the new HD into the laptop and create a working ubuntu system from it?

For example, could I put a bootloader onto the clean HD, and then use that to go to the USB stick and load a liveCD iso?

oilchangeguy
October 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Can I 'preload' something onto a brand new hard-drive, and then put the hard-drive into a laptop and boot into it?

I ask because
-Ive no CD drive
-USB stick booting isn't supported
-Have no floppy drive
-Don't understand network booting
-The hard-drive is new, there's nothing on it, so I can't use the 'install from within windows' methods.

So... can I connect the brand new hard-drive to another computer (using a 2.5" caddy), and put *something* (im not sure what, a bootloader?) onto it, to enable me to then put the new HD into the laptop and create a working ubuntu system from it?

For example, could I put a bootloader onto the clean HD, and then use that to go to the USB stick and load a liveCD iso?

the caddy doesn't enable you to connect it to another computer. it just holds it in place. if the other computer is a laptop, just remove it's hard drive. install the new one. do a full install of ubuntu, and then remove the drive and put it in the other computer.

voodoo_child
October 28th, 2008, 10:40 PM
the caddy doesn't enable you to connect it to another computer. it just holds it in place.
Sorry, by caddy I mean a USB caddy, or usb enclosure or similar.

if the other computer is a laptop, just remove it's hard drive. install the new one. do a full install of ubuntu, and then remove the drive and put it in the other computer.
Is that possible? Even though the two computers have different components, drivers, etc?

oilchangeguy
October 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Sorry, by caddy I mean a USB caddy, or usb enclosure or similar.

Is that possible? Even though the two computers have different components, drivers, etc?

i've not tried it with linux. but with windows you just get the found new hardware wizard.