PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem after installation with Ubuntu CD

Saltire100
October 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
New and oh so lost! I have used the Ubuntu official CD to load the OS onto my old Pentium II 333 with 384mb of Ram and a 20GB HDD. I opted for a clean install as Windows 98 was totally corrupt and allowed Ubuntu to create the new partition. All goes well and I'm told that the system has been installed and to reboot. Again this goes well until I have to put in my user name and password (which it accepts) - then nothing - just a blank brownish screen, no graphics. I have tried re-installing a few times but at the same point each time the blank screen appears. I have left it for at least 30 minutes on the blank screen - but no change.

Can someone point me in the right direction - please?

lukjad
October 28th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

oilchangeguy
October 28th, 2008, 09:46 PM
New and oh so lost! I have used the Ubuntu official CD to load the OS onto my old Pentium II 333 with 384mb of Ram and a 20GB HDD. I opted for a clean install as Windows 98 was totally corrupt and allowed Ubuntu to create the new partition. All goes well and I'm told that the system has been installed and to reboot. Again this goes well until I have to put in my user name and password (which it accepts) - then nothing - just a blank brownish screen, no graphics. I have tried re-installing a few times but at the same point each time the blank screen appears. I have left it for at least 30 minutes on the blank screen - but no change.

Can someone point me in the right direction - please?

please read the ubuntu requirements BEFORE trying to install it:
700 MHz or better processor
3GB of available disk space
256MB of memory (RAM)
CD-ROM drive
Ethernet interface
VGA graphics interface
a modern operating system is not meant to give life to an old, under powered computer. i'd suggest doing a fresh install of 98.

snowpine
October 28th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Puppy Linux or DSL would be better choices for that hardware, sorry Ubuntu isn't working out for you. :(

lukjad
October 28th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Puppy linux is a really good choice.

Also, Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake would probably work well on your machine.

Saltire100
October 29th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I am using 8.04

Saltire100
October 29th, 2008, 12:04 AM
The only info on the CD is that I needed 384mb RAM, 4 GB disk space and a CD player - all of which I had. However, reading the replies I think I'll try the DSL or Puppy one.

lifestream
October 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM
If you still want a Linux distro that will work well on your old PC, but that looks nice/modern, try Zenwalk (http://www.zenwalk.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=30), as it works well in Pentium II.

Pentium II! Those were the days... ^_^;