PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install & live sessions fail (8.04 as well as 8.10 pre-release)

BluntedBoyWonder
October 28th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Hello all,

I've been an Ubuntu for several years now, so first of all thanks for this wonderful project.

Not so wonderful is my new problem: live sessions & installs from cd-rom fail. This happens with an official, delivered by mail 8.04 as well as with the freshly available 8.10 prerelease.

I've got my computer set up for a dual boot, but when I insert either Ubuntu disks install doesn't go further than the first Ubuntu splash screen with the crawling orange bar. After that, instead of providing me with an Ubuntu install process, I am treated to a shell environment that says before the cursor:

"ubuntu@ubuntu:"

What am I to do? I tried the "startx" command but get returned an error. My knowledge of bash and shell commands do not go much further than an elementary level.

I am on an Acer Aspire 1350 laptop and had 8.04 installed fine and working by means of upgrading from 7.x. I wanted a clean install so I formatted my drive and re-partitioned.

Is this a common error and are there any common causes? I Googled around and found nothing.

Greets,
the BBW

dstew
October 28th, 2008, 09:03 PM
If you can, post to this forum the errors that are listed just before it drops to the command line.