PDA

View Full Version : Is gaming the be all and end all ?

BGFG
October 28th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I was just reading an article from Extreme Tech weekly on why windows & will suck less.
Is computing solely judged by benchmarking games and direct x rendering ? I mean Linux does exist right ?
I suppose this post was going to mutate into a rant but long story short: I have nothing against windows i like it even.I think Linux is better. period.
I just think that a lot of these mags are Windows hype engines.

Valok
October 28th, 2008, 08:28 PM
They probably use Windows to explain how the games run because they are made to run on Windows, and so will probably run best there. But I'm really hoping and wishing that some big name companies (Blizzard cough cough) will step up to the plate and make some Linux native games.

BGFG
October 28th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah, and not to be unfair but they do have linux articles too. It just seems that the OS is shoddy, But HEY we can play games on it! so it's all good....

Even I, before i had installed Hardy Heron, was under the impression that linux was a no gamer zone. Then lo and behold, I open synaptic and Doom is staring me in the face.

gn2
October 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Games is for consoles and children. [/flame] :twisted:

fatality_uk
October 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM

As a 40 year old gamer, play me and u so get pwned!!! wOOt

q.e.d!!!

Well MY benchmarks for linux gaming are usually 10%+ better than Windows.

Northsider
October 28th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Is gaming the be all and end all
For some people, yes. Is that a bad thing? No.

BGFG
October 28th, 2008, 10:09 PM

before i had a pc i used to collect games for when i owned one.
I got a pc with vista and was on Ubuntu by the next week. Not really inclined towards gameplay anymore.
I'm not against games, I'm a big Soul Calibur fan. Maybe when i build a monster rig...

BGFG
October 28th, 2008, 10:10 PM
For some people, yes. Is that a bad thing? No.

Yeah. True.

Dixon Bainbridge
October 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I was just reading an article from Extreme Tech weekly on why windows & will suck less.
Is computing solely judged by benchmarking games and direct x rendering ? I mean Linux does exist right ?
I suppose this post was going to mutate into a rant but long story short: I have nothing against windows i like it even.I think Linux is better. period.
I just think that a lot of these mags are Windows hype engines.

Ironic, when 99.9% of games released each year are a boring, unimaginative yawn fest.

Truth is, games sell, make big money. Windows is the gatekeeper to PC gaming.

Grant A.
October 28th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Sad that game developers don't realize that Linux Gamers are an untapped market.

[CONSPIRACY THEORY]
Microsoft is probably paying off some developers to not do that, as most Linux users are only using Windows still for gaming.
[/CONSPIRACY THEORY]

bubba_169
October 28th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Games is for consoles

Thats what my 360 is for :guitar:

OFFTOPIC: Has everyone tried Saints Row 2 yet? - If not you should :D

BGFG
October 29th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Sad that game developers don't realize that Linux Gamers are an untapped market.

[CONSPIRACY THEORY]
Microsoft is probably paying off some developers to not do that, as most Linux users are only using Windows still for gaming.
[/CONSPIRACY THEORY]

From a financial standpoint, and if there's only 60 million of us across all distributions. Then i don't think microsoft even has to pay them not to. It would simply not be practical for a game company to expend time money and resources developing for linux.
At least that is what i will tell myself :) either way, they can keep their games. It affects me not.