PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] KDE desktop option with gnome

Kevbert
October 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I'm currently running Ubuntu Hardy and would like to have the option to use KDE4.1 from the log-in screen. What files do I need to install to get this ? (and can I do this via Synaptic ?)

snowpine
October 28th, 2008, 07:48 PM
You can install KDE 3 from Synaptic either as kdebase or kubuntu-desktop (if you want all the apps and themes). For KDE 4, I think you'll need to install it from the .deb's at kde.org...

Kevbert
October 28th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks (yet again) snowpine.:)

snowpine
October 28th, 2008, 08:28 PM
You're welcome. One of these days I will get around to trying KDE...
This might sound shallow, but really the only reason I haven't is I can't stand how all the application start with 'K'! :)

maybeway36
October 28th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I think you can install the metapackage

kubuntu-kde4-desktop
from Synaptic.

Xiong Chiamiov
October 29th, 2008, 08:19 AM
It looks like (http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=kde4&searchon=names&suite=hardy&section=all) there is a kde4 package, as well as a kde4-core package, which will install only what is necessary to run KDE, rather than including Kate, Amarok, K3B, etc.

ronocdh
October 29th, 2008, 09:33 AM
It looks like (http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=kde4&searchon=names&suite=hardy&section=all) there is a kde4 package, as well as a kde4-core package, which will install only what is necessary to run KDE, rather than including Kate, Amarok, K3B, etc.
This is correct. Searching for "KDE4" in Synaptic will give you everything you need, OP. The great thing about this is that KDE4.1 will install separately from KDE 3.x (and of course you'll still have GNOME, too).

I applaud your willingness to experiment with DEs!

snowpine
October 29th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I stand corrected; thanks for the info people!

Kevbert
October 29th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks to everyone. Unfortunately the Synaptic Package is KDE 4.0 which looks a little unfinished, duplicate icons, missing icons with question marks and only the Kicker menus. Apt updater seems to be for 3.5 and not 4 (as per early Intrepid Alpha releases). I even got a Segfault the first time I tried it, so I may wait until they release 4.1.2 in the Ubuntu repos for Hardy.