PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Invalid cd

rasmus91
October 28th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Guess this is the best place to post this.

Hi every one.

I got this desktop which i wan't to install ubuntu 8.10 on, i have tried from a USB drive, but it says something like: "OPERATING SYSTEM NOT DETECTED INSERT VALID DRIVE THEN PRESS ENTER"

Okay, so i guessed that it just wasn't able to read from flashdrive. (have had installed Ubuntu on this one before, but i can't choose to boot it any more... i think it was after i formatted xp. but not sure.)

Any way, i download the live CD for 32 bit machines, and Write it to a cd. (because I've had it installed before, i know i have to install the help file to make the computer boot from cd properly, so thats what i do, here i get a poblem. Inserting the CD the computer says: "Invalid cd inserted" Because i've had some problems looking like the same, on windoh!ws before. I go to computer, and double click the cd. "invalid cd inserted" okay, now i go directly to the umenu file on the cd, double click it. a second or two passes by, and i get the message "Invalid cd inserted"

then i tried just booting from the cd. got the same message as when i trie to boot from flashdrive...

What should i do about this?

roger_1960
October 28th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Hi

When you say 'write' it to a CD, are you creating an ISO CD image or just copying the file you have downloaded? This would be the problem if you are just copying it to CD.

oldos2er
October 28th, 2008, 06:44 PM
You might want to look at these instructions on downloading and burning the Ubuntu ISO:
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso

rasmus91
October 29th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I emulated a drive with Daemon tools, and copied the files from the ISO to the CD...

You said that was wrong?

heman22union
October 29th, 2008, 08:13 AM
yeah i think that is incorect. i believe that u just burned the files instead of making a bootable cd. that my 2cents

roger_1960
October 29th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Hi

Have a look at this link for how to do it.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso

If you are burning the CD with windows, you need to use the function 'create iso disk image' or similar in your software. Its not the same as just copying the big iso file to a disk.