PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Make Portable Games

bhoemen
October 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I want to know how to make portable games of games like halo and quake so that i can play them at school because we aren't allowed to install things (as it is in pretty well every school)

Xzallion
October 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
First I'm just going to say, pay attention in school.

Now that thats over, I don't think you realize what your asking. Your not asking to make a "portable game" since that would require making a game from scratch for portable hardware. Your asking "how do I make game xyz portable?".

Halo will require a laptop, a decent one. There really isn't any way to get around this for school.

Quake 1 can run on many things, but once again a laptop is your best bet. I know Doom has a ipod version somewhere on the net, but depending on your school they may not allow them.

You might get away with installing the games to a flash drive, and plugging that in but that won't work for halo, and any multiplayer over the internet games will be noticed quickly on the school network. In most schools in the U.S., if you get caught doing this they can revoke your access to the school computers for that school year. Proceed at your own risk.

forrestcupp
October 28th, 2008, 02:10 PM
You can't take a proprietary game that is already created and make it playable without installation. Especially if you're using Windows, which is the only computer OS that Halo will run on. When games like Halo are installed, they put entries in the registry and sometimes install dll files in other system directories. The game just won't run without this stuff.

For you to be able to do what you want, a game would either have to be originally created to be portable, or be open source so you could reprogram it.

So, just do what was already suggested and get yourself a laptop to play your games on. Either that, or just do your school work.

nixscripter
October 28th, 2008, 02:32 PM
My suggestion:

1. Get Damn Small Linux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/)
2. Put wine (http://www.winehq.org) on it.
3. Install your games.
4. Cross your fingers.
5. Play!

Hopefully, if the machine in question is reasonably fast, it won't be too bad.

Wine supports Halo (the original) and Quake (the original) reasonably well according to tests. If you're thinking Quake/Halo 2, 3, or 4, look it up in Wine's AppDB (a link on the left of the main page) to see how well it's supported.

Note that some trial and error is required. This is just what I thought of off the top of my head.

And to emphasize Xzallion said: network games are really easy to catch. You might also want to set up an SSH tunnel if it's just a LAN game. ;-)

P.S. I believe in doing school work too, but also believe that some people simply do not have the right personality to focus every minute of every day at school on working. I am more willing to trust the judgement of the individual on this subject to get their work done anyway, apparently more than almost anyone I know. Hence, I provide this advice, and wish you luck.

forrestcupp
October 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM
If he can't install a game on the computer, how is he going to install a whole operating system and the game on it? I think he's wanting a way to run the game directly off of a CD/DVD or jump drive without having to install it. It's not possible.

And I've never been able to get Halo: Combat Evolved to work with Wine.

nixscripter
October 29th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I meant put the game and Linux on a flash drive. In fact, you can even run Linux off that from inside windows (without reboot), though I don't know how well hardware intensive games would work without a reboot.

And if Quake/Halo wouldn't work, I would suggest an alterative game: Starcraft! :-D Blizzard actually supports use of it under Wine, and it works well.

DanTheFlyingMan
October 29th, 2008, 02:13 AM
You can't take a proprietary game that is already created and make it playable without installation. Especially if you're using Windows, which is the only computer OS that Halo will run on. When games like Halo are installed, they put entries in the registry and sometimes install dll files in other system directories. The game just won't run without this stuff.

For you to be able to do what you want, a game would either have to be originally created to be portable, or be open source so you could reprogram it.

So, just do what was already suggested and get yourself a laptop to play your games on. Either that, or just do your school work.

That's not quite true. Some games work fine like that. I used to play Age of Empires II all the time back when I was in high school. There are plenty of others like Company of Heroes, Crusader Kings, or Hearts of Iron II

x0as
October 29th, 2008, 02:43 AM

Not true, plenty of closed source games have been made portable including Halo, CS:S & TF2.

LaRoza
October 29th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I want to know how to make portable games of games like halo and quake so that i can play them at school because we aren't allowed to install things (as it is in pretty well every school)

Contact the manufactures and ask them to do it. Then, after they remake the game for you, ask your teacher to allow you to use them at school.

If you want to play games, do it on your own time and hardware.

That said, you can use portable dosbox to run portable free games. I did this on my free time in the empty labs when I was stuck between classes with my four hour breaks.

Why DOS? Because it has the best games. There are many free games. And because it wasn't a strain on the system, yet I could play a FPS on a system with bloated Windows and 256 MB of RAM.

Closed, as the original question is asking for things that are probably illegal.