PDA

View Full Version : Cyborgs to be in existance in 2011

LaRoza
October 28th, 2008, 06:06 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081027/hl_afp/healthhearttechnologyfranceeurope

That is awesome, that they are able to possibly release a fully functional synthetic heart.

I hope it is less expensive and more reliable than those from donors.

zmjjmz
October 28th, 2008, 06:10 AM
We may have to start campaigning for cyborg rights.

LaRoza
October 28th, 2008, 06:12 AM
We may have to start campaigning for cyborg rights.

Well, as long as they are born human (so to speak), or have the essence of the human mind, I wouldn't see an issue.

The body is essentially mobility and life support.

kernelhaxor
October 28th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I thought they were already trying out artificial heart implants in various countries. In April (2008 ), Asia' first artificial heart transplant happened in Bangalore, India
Source: Click here (indiatimes.com) (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Asias_first_artificial_heart_transplant_in_Banglor e/rssarticleshow/2939341.cms)

The article also says
[...] Though there have been 220 such implants worldwide, this is Asia’s first.[...]

So the one coming out in 2011 is more advanced or something? how is it different?

That is awesome technology and great news given the global shortage in the number of hearts.

Capt. Mac
October 28th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I thought they were already trying out artificial heart implants in various countries. In April (2008 ), Asia' first artificial heart transplant happened in Bangalore, India
Source: Click here (indiatimes.com) (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Asias_first_artificial_heart_transplant_in_Banglor e/rssarticleshow/2939341.cms)

The article also says

So the one coming out in 2011 is more advanced or something? how is it different?

That is awesome technology and great news given the global shortage in the number of hearts.

From the first article:

Today's generation of artificial heart is a thumb-sized device implanted in the chest that sucks blood from the heart and pumps it into the aorta, and which has to be recharged every four hours using an external battery.

I believe the one being referred to (in 2011) is more like a physical reproduction of an actual human heart.

EdThaSlayer
October 28th, 2008, 07:02 AM
So at this rate, all humans can have their "brain" implanted into a cyborg body? If you can put artificial hearts into a human body, you should be able to put a human brain into a artificial body right?

LaRoza
October 28th, 2008, 07:06 AM
So at this rate, all humans can have their "brain" implanted into a cyborg body? If you can put artificial hearts into a human body, you should be able to put a human brain into a artificial body right?

15 years to get the heart. As this rate, we'll have the entire body in a million years.

Paqman
October 28th, 2008, 07:09 AM
By any sensible definition of the word, there are already billions of cyborgs walking the earth. Anyone who has had had their physiology altered by a manufactured component, such as a vaccine, is a cyborg.

The line between cyborg and non-cyborg is likely to be very blurry, or indeed completely invisible. Probably also completely irrelevant.