PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on Mac Mini 10.4

CharleyLund
October 28th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I've just downloaded Ubuntu and burned the iso to a CD. I've found different guides on how to install the OS but it's all very confusing to me. If anyone could give me a run through it would be very appreciated. Thank you :)

lemming465
October 29th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Are you still planning to run OS-X on the mac-mini in a dual boot scenario, or are you giving the whole thing over to Ubuntu? Is it an intel-based mac-mini or power-pc? If dual-boot, is it OK to reinstall the OS-X?

First step: boot from the Ubuntu CD by holding down the "C" key after you power on. That should get you a live desktop, if you picked the right iso image. There will be an "install" icon you can double click on the desktop, which asks about 7 screens of setup questions about languages, disk partitions, user accounts, timezone, etc. Don't use that until you know the answers to my questions above.

I don't think Ubuntu can resize apple HFS partitions, so you probably have to repartition the disk and install whatever you plan to run permanently from scratch. If you are going to dual-boot OS-X and Ubuntu, install OS-X first.

dan.sosedov
December 10th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Hey, can anybody give some more info about installing Ubuntu/XUbuntu on PowerPC Mac Mini G4?

So, i just want to erase the OS X and install Ubuntu.

First, which bootable cd i can use? the regular with the image of distro from repository? or something special made for mac ?

and, which way should be easiest and fastest for me right now?

Ps. Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.33 Ghz, 512 RAM, 40 Gb HDD