PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Update Manager package error

MikeyDL
October 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Recently I tried to install a normal update with update manager. I downloaded the files into a deb pacakge but get the following error when it tries to run:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/gcc-4.2-base_4.2.4-1ubuntu3_i386.deb: failed in buffer_read(fd)

I've manually removed (deleted) the deb file and redownloaded but I get the same error. Any ideas why i'm getting the error?

Thanks!

lemming465
October 29th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Do you have any disk errors listed in /var/log/messages? Maybe run "sudo apt-get clean" to purge the cache and then retry the update-manager?

ciscosurfer
October 29th, 2008, 04:44 AM
i/o errors are usually indicative of one or more things: a failing drive, data attempting to be written to the drive faster than the system can handle, a locking handle or other file that may be "corrupt", or lack of free space on the partition or drive. If you're certain you have free space and your drive is healthy, then read on. Otherwise, make sure you have enough free space
df -h and that your disk isn't on its last legs
sudo apt-get install hdparm
man hdparm

sudo apt-get install smartmontools
man smartctlFor example, to test the overall health of your drive
sudo smartctl -H /dev/sda

smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
First, check out this page on launchpad (https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+question/22587). Read the whole page. Pay particular attention to the last post on that page. Now, let's augment what was said there for your scenario:

You can try the following. Go ahead and cat this file
cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/gcc-4.2-base.listNormally you'd get a list of files included in the gcc-4.2-base package, but this time you'll likely get an empty list or an error alerting you that there is a problem with the file. Perhaps something along these lines: failed in buffer_read(fd)

A possible solution might be to remove this list file
sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/gcc-4.2-base.listYou should now be able to run these commands and then either manually to let your package manager download and install/upgrade gcc or you can download the .deb and install it yourself
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade