PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HP boot hangs

messatsu
October 27th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Not sure if this is 100% the correct category to place this thread under... I've searched throughout these forums for a solution and can't find one that works.

I have an HP Pavillion a705w with
2.93GHz Celeron
Intel i845 E / G / PE / GE onboard graphics
256 MB RAM
40GB HDD

Running disc check says that the 8.10 disc has no errors. Memory check ran without errors as well.

I have successfully installed via the 8.10 text-based installer, but hang nearly immediately after successful login / pass. I initially tried LiveCD (hung, but forgot where), install normally, install with all F6 options, install safe graphics, install safe graphics with all F6 options. All of the graphical installs hung right after doing Next-> on the timezone selection screen. At that point, the graphics would show a non-animated repeating pattern on screen, then show the ubuntu default brown background after say 30 seconds. Nothing happens after that point (even num lock won't register changes in the lights on the keyboard). Help. I've installed ubuntu several times on different computers and never ran into a problem that stopped me like this.:-({|=:-x

Pumalite
October 27th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Try the Xubuntu Alternate CD:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/8.04.1/release/

messatsu
October 28th, 2008, 05:28 AM
That worked, thanks. Going to try getting Gnome to work tomorrow. If it hangs then, I'll just settle with xfce.