PDA

View Full Version : Made the switch!

bobaab
October 27th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say I made the switch to Ubuntu from Windows XP and has been a pleasant stay so far ;)

I'm a Windows power user and it really has been good to me. Two days ago, I just had the urge to do something different with my laptop. My old roommate was huge into Linux and always told me about it so I decided to try it!

After about an hour of backing things up onto an external HDD and downloading the live cd, I loaded that in, installed it, and bam! Turned it on. Granted my wireless wasn't working (I was able to fix that with the MANY how to's online), I was surprised how easy the installation was.

I guess I've always had a technical edge when it comes to computers, or maybe it's just that I'm good at following directions. I thought Linux would have a sharp learning curve, but with all the support out there, it's not bad at all. I really got to see how things work around here and it works well.

I just upgraded to the beta version of Ubuntu 8.10 and am having some wireless problems with that on the network at school, but it's fun troubleshooting and figuring things out ;)

Just thought I'd give a basic review from a LONG TIME Windows user. I haven't given up Windows, but Ubuntu is sure as hell close to replacing it.

::EDIT::
Oh, on a side note, my girlfriend is also curious about Ubuntu as well. Most probably because you can make it look "cute" as she said. She is 99% sure she is getting the new Macbook (the battery on her old one died) and she is wanting to put Ubuntu on there as well. :)

blueturtl
October 27th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the gang!

Find a way to make most of both Linux AND Windows -- ignore the trolls -- and you'll be fine. ;)

NewJack
October 27th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the Community! I was a dual boot user for a while and I just recently dumped my Win partition since I stopped gaming on XP. Now I play a bunch of Linux games to satisfy my needs.

Good Luck!

billgoldberg
October 27th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I just switched back to windows.

lol

Well not really, I was walking past the local computer shop and saw the asus eeepc 900 laughing at me from the window.

Went in and bought it, they only had they xp version.

---

Anyhow welcome to Ubuntu.

My blog has lots of tips and trick for Ubuntu, be sure to check it out (see signature).

lukjad
October 27th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Glad you could join us. ;)

david_lynch
October 27th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the gang!

Find a way to make most of both Linux AND Windows -- ignore the trolls -- and you'll be fine. ;)
Not everyone that wants to be rid of ms windows is a troll - I've sure enjoyed my microsoft-free existence for the past several years.

bobaab
October 28th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Haha thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Actually, the Asus EEEpc is another reason why I wanted to try out Linux. I SOOO want one, especially for the SSD...and even though it's rather inexpensive, I still don't have the money nor can I justify buying one especially since this laptop isn't even a year old lol.

But the biggest reason why I am still using Windows is that I play a lot of Windows games. Well, whenever I have time that is. Classes and exams and homework definitely keeps me busy :(

richg
October 28th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Welcome bobaab

Your post is refreshing. Do not hear many good first installs. Even with a couple issues, you kept a very positive attitude concerning Ubuntu.
I have the EEE 4G PC with Xandros which is transparent. I love it.

Rich

Northsider
October 28th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Good to hear that you are enjoying Ubuntu thus far. Don't expect to know everything and have everything work instantly. It takes time to learn... Many fall into the trap of thinking that they will instantly know how to do everything and are 100% dissappointed. Also, I haven't given up on windows (it's good for a lot of things for me) and it's good to have options.

NewJack
October 28th, 2008, 09:38 PM
There are good games available for Ubuntu/Linux. Doom3, Quake4, LinCity-NG (SimCity Clone), FreeCol (Colonization Clone), UFO: Alien Invasion (X-Com Clone). There are also some racing and flight sim games, but I haven't tried them yet. Also with programs like WINE and Cedega, you can run alot of Win games.