PDA

View Full Version : HowTo: Fully Uninstall the ubuntu-desktop meta-package

aysiu
November 28th, 2005, 06:47 AM
As you may or may not know, if you install the package called ubuntu-desktop, a lot of other packages will be installed so that you get the full Gnome experience in addition to KDE. If, however, you uninstall ubuntu-desktop, none of the other "full Gnome experience" packages will be uninstalled. You may have installed ubuntu-desktop to get the Gnome experience but then found it cluttered things up too much. To uninstall all the other junk, open up a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and copy and paste this into your terminal:
sudo apt-get remove bittorrent bluez-pin bug-buddy capplets-data contact-lookup-applet dbus-1-utils desktop-file-utils eog esound evince evolution evolution-data-server evolution-exchange evolution-plugins evolution-webcal file-roller firefox firefox-gnome-support fping gaim gaim-data gcalctool gconf-editor gdb gdm gedit gedit-common gimp gimp-data gimp-python gksu gnome-about gnome-app-install gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-btdownload gnome-control-center gnome-cups-manager gnome-desktop-data gnome-doc-utils gnome-games gnome-games-data gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring gnome-media gnome-menus gnome-mime-data gnome-netstatus-applet gnome-nettool gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-pilot gnome-pilot-conduits gnome-session gnome-spell gnome-system-monitor gnome-system-tools gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data gnome-themes gnome-utils gnome-volume-manager gnome2-user-guide gnomemeeting gstreamer0.8-esd gstreamer0.8-gnomevfs gthumb gtk2-engines-clearlooks gtk2-engines-crux gtk2-engines-industrial gtk2-engines-lighthouseblue gtk2-engines-mist gtk2-engines-pixbuf gtk2-engines-redmond95 gtk2-engines-smooth gtk2-engines-thinice gtkhtml3.8 gucharmap guile-1.6-libs hal-device-manager hwdb-client language-selector launchpad-integration libaa1 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libcamel1.2-6 libcompfaceg1 libcroco3 libdjvulibre15 libebook1.2-5 libecal1.2-3 libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-1 libedataserver1.2-4 libedataserverui1.2-6 libeel2-2 libeel2-data libegroupwise1.2-8 libesd-alsa0 libexchange-storage1.2-0 libgail-common libgail17 libgda2-3 libgda2-common libgimp2.0 libgksu1.2-0 libgksuui1.0-0 libglade2-0 libgle3 libglib-perl libglib2.0-data libgnome-desktop-2 libgnome-keyring0 libgnome-menu2 libgnome-pilot2 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-canvas-perl libgnome2-common libgnome2-perl libgnome2-vfs-perl libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomecups1.0-1 libgnomecupsui1.0-1 libgnomeprint2.2-0 libgnomeprint2.2-data libgnomeprintui2.2-0 libgnomeprintui2.2-common libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common libgsf-1 libgtk2-perl libgtkhtml2-0 libgtkhtml3.8-15 libgtksourceview-common libgtksourceview1.0-0 libgtkspell0 libgtop2-5 libgucharmap4 libguile-ltdl-1 libkpathsea3 liblaunchpad-integration0 liblircclient0 liblpint-bonobo0 libmetacity0 libnautilus-burn2 libnautilus-extension1 libnotify0 libopenal0 libopenh323-1.15.3c2 libpanel-applet2-0 libpisync0 libpoppler0c2-glib libpt-1.8.3c2 libpt-plugins-alsa libpt-plugins-v4l libpt-plugins-v4l2 libqthreads-12 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common libsmpeg0c2 libsoup2.2-8 libtotem-plparser0 libvte-common libvte4 libwmf0.2-7 libwnck-common libwnck18 libxklavier10 libxml2-utils libxres1 metacity nautilus nautilus-cd-burner nautilus-data nautilus-sendto notification-daemon openoffice.org2-evolution openoffice.org2-gnome python-glade2 python-gmenu python-gnome2 python-gnome2-extras python-gst python-gtk2 python-launchpad-integration python2.4-cairo python2.4-glade2 python2.4-gnome2 python2.4-gnome2-extras python2.4-gtk2 rdesktop rhythmbox rss-glx serpentine shared-mime-info smeg sound-juicer ssh-askpass-gnome synaptic system-tools-backends totem totem-gstreamer tsclient ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs ubuntu-sounds update-manager update-notifier vino vnc-common whois xchat xchat-common xsane xsane-common xscreensaver xscreensaver-data xscreensaver-gl xsltproc xvncviewer yelp zenity This will remove all the extra "junk" that was installed along with the ubuntu-desktop meta-package. P.S. I haven't tested this yet. I just know it should work in theory. If anyone is brave enough to test it, could she or he post a reply in this thread so others won't have to worry.

Edit: This definitely works. I've tested it out on a fresh Kubuntu installation.

For Dapper, go here (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde).

N8K99
November 29th, 2005, 06:04 AM
I did something rather similiar, although not as exact as you. I have an older machine with memory issues, so both KDE and GNOME are way too sluggish (tried them both) so I installed enlightenment from the repositories ( tried out the howto for e17 but like 16 much better) so I hd to basically remove all the large amounts of junk from my system. Basically, I opened synaptic and scrolled down and removed anything that said Gnome or looked like it related to gnome and KDE, although I left kicker on just for giggles. You single line apt-get remove looks like it will pretty much do the trick when it comes to removing unnecessary programs.

aysiu
November 29th, 2005, 06:06 AM
I just revised it, too--as I wasn't absolutely sure it would work.
I did a clean installation of Kubuntu and found out which packages were marked for installation after typing
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

GoldBuggie
December 7th, 2005, 03:39 AM
*original post removed by ME so not to get ppl confused*

aysiu
December 7th, 2005, 04:13 AM
See, that's how I did it originally, too. It made logical sense--you take a look at the two sets of packages, eliminate what they have in common, and see what's left.

Theoretically, it should work, but it didn't.

So I changed it to be what really gets installed when you install ubuntu-desktop (I did it with a fresh reinstall of Kubuntu).

mint
December 7th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I've found that liberal applications of deborphan (apt-get install deborphan). Will help you clean up all of the libraries and such that get left hanging after a big uninstall operation like that.

e.g.

To get a list of orphaned library packages:
$ deborphan

To get a list of all orphans:
$ deborphan -a

To remove orphaned libraries:
# apt-get --purge remove $(deborphan)

To remove python orphans (lots on a default install):
# apt-get --purge remove $(deborphan -a | awk {'print $2'} | grep ^py)

geearf
December 9th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks for this how to, I installed ubuntu-desktop but I never really used it, so it might be good to remove it for a while.

N8K99
December 10th, 2005, 09:03 AM
To remove orphaned libraries:
# apt-get --purge remove $(deborphan)
I tried this out, and well it didn't help me at all. Mostly this was because I had already removed all the Gnome stuff from my machine and was running Enlightenment as my Desktop Shell. When I ran the above command, it removed some libraries that enabled apt-get install to work. :???: Oh well, it's not a weekend if I am not completely re-vamping my Linux box yet again!! i'm going to have to learn to be happy with what I've got going on. Fortunately, this time all my data was backed up!:cool:

starscalling
December 10th, 2005, 11:16 PM
I tried this out, and well it didn't help me at all. Mostly this was because I had already removed all the Gnome stuff from my machine and was running Enlightenment as my Desktop Shell. When I ran the above command, it removed some libraries that enabled apt-get install to work. :???: Oh well, it's not a weekend if I am not completely re-vamping my Linux box yet again!! i'm going to have to learn to be happy with what I've got going on. Fortunately, this time all my data was backed up!:cool:

lol im with ya.... thinking of doing the dapper install >_> my audio hates me right now anyway :P
though ive got to ask the thread wtf are ya thinkin sortof ~_^ [not meant meanly i swear..] i just mean why not do the server install and then install ONLY what you need?

N8K99
December 11th, 2005, 01:38 AM
lol im with ya.... thinking of doing the dapper install >_> my audio hates me right now anyway :P
though ive got to ask the thread wtf are ya thinkin sortof ~_^ [not meant meanly i swear..] i just mean why not do the server install and then install ONLY what you need?I have done the server install- at least three times for every time I have done a full install. Each time I get things nice and working and go straight with enlightenment (as an aside, I'm not certain if it's really the way the environment acts or if I just enjoy constantingly striving for 'enlightenment') and things work, except that I have great difficulty getting the xorg.conf to play nicely and give me a screen with anything but 400x600 resolution. So I do the full install and strip in order to get multiple resolutions resolved automagically. I know kinda weak but it's how I have beeen rolling. Still it's an educational process for me none the less. {'^_^'}

higgins
December 14th, 2005, 06:41 AM
I have followed the method in this thread and it has worked perfectly. Thanks

:D :D :D

aysiu
December 14th, 2005, 06:46 AM
I have followed the method in this thread and it has worked perfectly. Thanks

:D :D :D Good to know.

pmj
December 14th, 2005, 09:16 AM
and for uninstalling kubuntu

sudo apt-get remove adept akode akregator amarok ark arts dbus gtk2-engines-gtk-qt gwenview ivman k3b kaddressbook kaffeine-gstreamer kamera karm katapult kate kaudiocreator kcontrol kcron kde-guidance kde-systemsettings kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase-kio-plugins kdebluetooth kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork-filesharing kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-kio-plugins kdepim-wizards kdeprint kdesktop kdm kfind kghostview khelpcenter kicker kio-apt kio-locate klaptopdaemon klipper kmail kmenuedit kmilo kmix knetworkconf knotes konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konserve konsole kontact konversation kooka kopete korganizer kpdf kpf kppp krfb krita kscd ksmserver ksnapshot ksplash ksvg ksysguard ksystemlog kubuntu-default-settings kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts kuser kwalletmanager kwifimanager kwin pmount python-opengl python2.3-opengl python2.4-opengl qca-tls ttf-dejavu vorbis-tools

I tried this one to completely get rid of KDE and like half of Gnome went along with it. Somehow the system stayed up though and Gnome was fully fixed by an apt-get install ubuntu-desktop, which was a 249MB download.

And for some reason Java, Azureus and totem-xine disappeared at the same time.

aysiu
December 14th, 2005, 05:29 PM
I tried this one to completely get rid of KDE and like half of Gnome went along with it. Somehow the system stayed up though and Gnome was fully fixed by an apt-get install ubuntu-desktop, which was a 249MB download.

And for some reason Java, Azureus and totem-xine disappeared at the same time. To uninstall Kubuntu, follow this HowTo (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=96048). GoldBuggie's post was speculating--it wasn't a real HowTo.

GoldBuggie
December 15th, 2005, 02:49 AM
IIIiiiihhh:confused: I thought that was clear...sorry about the trouble.

aysiu
December 15th, 2005, 02:55 AM
IIIiiiihhh:confused: I thought that was clear...sorry about the trouble. It was clear to me when you posted it, but it may not have been to someone else who stumbled upon the thread later.

pmj
December 15th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Nah, I was just browsing the forum and stumbled on this thread and thought to myself, why not get rid of the KDE stuff I never use?

I was just letting you know how it went so that nobody else tries it. :)

aysiu
December 15th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Nah, I was just browsing the forum and stumbled on this thread and thought to myself, why not get rid of the KDE stuff I never use? Can you try the real HowTo (i.e., the first post in the thread) and let me know if it doesn't work? If so, please post the entire output of the command and its outcome in the thread--don't just say, "it doesn't work."

I was just letting you know how it went so that nobody else tries it. :) And I'm telling you to use the command in the original post (one which I tried out on a fresh Kubuntu installation), not the one that you quoted from Goldbuggie.

Please read the entire thread and the context of the post you quoted and tried out.

If you're not going to read the entire thread, don't just pick a random post to try out something--go to the first post with the real HowTo instructions.

If you try the instructions from the first post and have problems, let me know.

GoldBuggie
December 15th, 2005, 07:39 AM
/me has used his undo button

kairu0
December 15th, 2005, 07:41 AM
This was a really good idea for a HOWTO, aysiu!

How many readers have found it helpful?

aysiu
December 15th, 2005, 07:42 AM
This was a really good idea for a HOWTO, aysiu!

How many readers have found it helpful? I don't know. Actually, I usually point people to my "uninstall kubuntu" thread because most Ubuntu users are using Gnome and want to try KDE, not vice versa.

pmj
December 15th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks, but as I believe I already told you, I already installed everything that went missing. It only took a few minutes. My computer works perfectly and KDE is gone. I don't need to use another tutorial.

I *did* read the whole thread and I *was* aware that the command I ran was not part of the howto. And I know I should have been more careful. I'm just telling you how it went so that anyone else reading knows and won't do the same.

aysiu
December 15th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Cool.

desiboston
March 7th, 2006, 03:49 AM
This also resoled the issue described here. It happened to me.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=2357.msg9044#msg9044

aysiu
March 7th, 2006, 04:06 AM
This also resoled the issue described here. It happened to me.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=2357.msg9044#msg9044 If you follow that link to this page:
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Uninstall_kubuntu-desktop

...you'll see it's just the same tutorial mirrored on another website.

Tapatio
May 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM
It didn't work for me. I copy-pasted the command and apt-get wanted to remove a lot of my KDE packages too!! Any idea why? By the way, I installed Ubuntu 5.10 first and later installed the kubuntu-desktop package. I don't know if this has anything to do with it.
This is what I got:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
adept akode akregator amarok amarok-gstreamer amarok-xine apollon ark arts artsbuilder bittorrent bluez-pin bug-buddy capplets-data
contact-lookup-applet dbus-1-utils desktop-file-utils eog esound evince evolution evolution-data-server evolution-exchange
evolution-plugins evolution-webcal file-roller firefox firefox-gnome-support fping gaim gaim-data galternatives gcalctool gconf-editor
gdb gdm gedit gedit-common gimp gimp-data gimp-python gksu gnome-about gnome-alsamixer gnome-app-install gnome-applets gnome-applets-data
gnome-btdownload gnome-control-center gnome-cups-manager gnome-desktop-data gnome-doc-utils gnome-games gnome-games-data gnome-icon-theme
gnome-keyring gnome-media gnome-menus gnome-mime-data gnome-netstatus-applet gnome-nettool gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-pilot
gnome-pilot-conduits gnome-session gnome-spell gnome-system-monitor gnome-system-tools gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data gnome-themes
gnome-utils gnome-volume-manager gnome2-user-guide gnomemeeting gparted gstreamer0.8-esd gstreamer0.8-gnomevfs gthumb
gtk2-engines-clearlooks gtk2-engines-crux gtk2-engines-gtk-qt gtk2-engines-industrial gtk2-engines-lighthouseblue gtk2-engines-mist
gtk2-engines-pixbuf gtk2-engines-redmond95 gtk2-engines-smooth gtk2-engines-thinice gtkhtml3.8 gucharmap guile-1.6-libs gwc gwenview
hal-device-manager hwdb-client k3b k3b-mp3 k3blibs kaddressbook kaffeine kaffeine-gstreamer kamera kappfinder karm katapult kate
kaudiocreator kcontrol kcron kde-guidance kde-style-lipstik kde-systemsettings kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins
kdebluetooth kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs kdelibs-bin kdelibs4c2 kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins
kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork-filesharing kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-kio-plugins kdepim-kresources kdepim-wizards
kdeprint kdesktop kdm kfind kghostview khelpcenter kicker kio-apt kio-locate klaptopdaemon klipper kmail kmenuedit kmilo kmix
knetworkconf knotes koffice-libs konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konserve konsole kontact konversation kooka kopete korganizer
kpdf kpf kppp krdc krfb krita kscd kscreensaver ksmserver ksnapshot ksplash ksvg ksysguard ksystemlog kubuntu-default-settings
kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-docs kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts kuser kwalletmanager kwifimanager kwin language-selector launchpad-integration
libaa1 libarts1c2 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libcamel1.2-6 libcompfaceg1 libcroco3
libdbus-qt-1-1c2 libdjvulibre15 libebook1.2-5 libecal1.2-3 libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-1 libedataserver1.2-4 libedataserverui1.2-6
libeel2-2 libeel2-data libegroupwise1.2-8 libesd-alsa0 libexchange-storage1.2-0 libgail-common libgail17 libgda2-3 libgda2-common
libgimp2.0 libgksu1.2-0 libgksuui1.0-0 libglade2-0 libgle3 libglib-perl libglib2.0-data libgnome-desktop-2 libgnome-keyring0
libgnome-menu2 libgnome-pilot2 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-canvas-perl libgnome2-common libgnome2-perl libgnome2-vfs-perl libgnomecanvas2-0
libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomecups1.0-1 libgnomecupsui1.0-1 libgnomeprint2.2-0 libgnomeprint2.2-data libgnomeprintui2.2-0
libgnomeprintui2.2-common libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common libgsf-1 libgtk2-perl libgtkhtml2-0
libgtkhtml3.8-15 libgtksourceview-common libgtksourceview1.0-0 libgtkspell0 libgtop2-5 libgucharmap4 libguile-ltdl-1 libkcal2b libkcddb1
libkdepim1a libkipi0 libkleopatra1 libkmime2 libkonq4 libkpathsea3 libkpimexchange1 libkpimidentities1 libkscan1 libksieve0 libktnef1
liblaunchpad-integration0 liblircclient0 liblpint-bonobo0 libmetacity0 libnautilus-burn2 libnautilus-extension1 libnotify0 libopenal0
libopenh323-1.15.3c2 libpanel-applet2-0 libpisync0 libpoppler0c2-glib libpt-1.8.3c2 libpt-plugins-alsa libpt-plugins-v4l
libpt-plugins-v4l2 libqthreads-12 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common libsmpeg0c2 libsoup2.2-8 libtotem-plparser0 libvte-common libvte4
libwmf0.2-7 libwnck-common libwnck18 libxklavier10 libxml2-utils libxres1 metacity nautilus nautilus-cd-burner nautilus-data
nautilus-open-terminal nautilus-sendto notification-daemon openoffice.org2-evolution openoffice.org2-gnome openoffice.org2-kde
python-glade2 python-gmenu python-gnome2 python-gnome2-extras python-gst python-gtk2 python-kde3 python-launchpad-integration python-vte
python2.4-cairo python2.4-glade2 python2.4-gnome2 python2.4-gnome2-extras python2.4-gtk2 python2.4-kde3 rdesktop rhythmbox rss-glx
sanekonsole serpentine shared-mime-info smeg sound-juicer ssh-askpass-gnome synaptic system-tools-backends totem totem-gstreamer tsclient
ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs ubuntu-sounds update-manager update-notifier vino vnc-common whois xchat xchat-common xsane
xsane-common xscreensaver xscreensaver-data xscreensaver-gl xsltproc xvncviewer yelp zenity
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 349 to remove and 70 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 909MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n

aysiu
May 5th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I did it on a fresh Kubuntu install--totally fresh. I hadn't installed anything else on top of it.

By the way, I installed Ubuntu 5.10 first and later installed the kubuntu-desktop package. I don't know if this has anything to do with it. So, yes, I think that may have something to do with it.

What I would do is look at all the stuff it's planning to remove, copy and paste that to a Kate document and then delete from that document all the stuff you want to keep. Then paste it back in after the command
sudo apt-get remove

Or... just go ahead and remove it all--the configuration files will still be there, as will the .debs. After that, do
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop and everything you need to have come back will be reinstalled.

Tapatio
May 6th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your answer aysiu. I just did it as N8K99. I opened synaptic and removed anything that was gnome related. Well, almost everything, 'cause there were some programs I wanted to keep. Thanks anyway. Good HOWTO.

markp1989
November 9th, 2009, 11:54 PM
have you got a uptodate version of this how to?

thanks markp1989

Tibuda
November 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM
have you got a uptodate version of this how to?

thanks markp1989
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce
Bookmark this psychocats site.

markp1989
November 12th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Kubischbuntu
May 5th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I originally installed Ubuntu Jaunty - and then decided to try the KDE desktop so installed that. I have not used gnome since and actually ran the update to Lucid in KDE.

I have now decided that I like KDE better so want to get rid of all the gnomes. Given this history - Can I use the method mentioned above for that - or do I need to do a clean Kubuntu install??

aysiu
May 5th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I originally installed Ubuntu Jaunty - and then decided to try the KDE desktop so installed that. I have not used gnome since and actually ran the update to Lucid in KDE.

I have now decided that I like KDE better so want to get rid of all the gnomes. Given this history - Can I use the method mentioned above for that - or do I need to do a clean Kubuntu install??
You can use this method here:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

Kubischbuntu
May 5th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Hi,

wow that is a lot of stuff for one command line command

One more question - i noticed that at the end it does an apt-get install kubuntu - why is that? Given that I am already running Kubuntu (see history in prev post) If I run it again will it just ignore the things that are already installed?

aysiu
May 5th, 2010, 07:23 AM
It's tacked on just off on the off-chance that something gets removed. If nothing gets removed, the last command will do nothing.

Kubischbuntu
May 5th, 2010, 10:15 AM
OK here is what I get back:

[sudo] password for kubisch:
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package compiz is not installed, so not removed
Package compiz-core is not installed, so not removed
Package compiz-fusion-plugins-main is not installed, so not removed
Package compiz-gnome is not installed, so not removed
Package compiz-plugins is not installed, so not removed
Package compizconfig-backend-gconf is not installed, so not removed
Package evolution is not installed, so not removed
Package evolution-couchdb is not installed, so not removed
Package evolution-exchange is not installed, so not removed
Package evolution-indicator is not installed, so not removed
Package evolution-plugins is not installed, so not removed
Package libcompizconfig0 is not installed, so not removed
Package notification-daemon is not installed, so not removed
Package scrollkeeper is not installed, so not removed
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libxine1: Depends: libxine1-x (= 1.1.17-1ubuntu3) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
kubisch@squarebear:~$

Any ideas?

Kubischbuntu
May 6th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Hi,

sorry my question may have been a bit short in the last post.;)

Basically while I verbally understand what the response is saying - I am a bit too new to this to comprehend what this means and what I should be doing about it.

Could anybody give me a hint please?

Thanx a lot

aysiu
May 6th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Usually that kind of error message indicates you have conflicting software sources (otherwise known as software repositories--basically online servers Ubuntu uses to fetch software you want to install).

Can you post the output of these commands?
sudo apt-get update
cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Kubischbuntu
May 7th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Sorry for the delay - I posted the question from work

OK here it goes:

For the first one I get:

kubisch@squarebear:~$ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for kubisch:
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid Release.gpg
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/restricted Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/multiverse Translation-en_NZ
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/restricted Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/universe Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/multiverse Translation-en_NZ
Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-security Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/restricted Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/universe Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/multiverse Translation-en_NZ
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid Release
Get:3 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates Release [38.5kB]
Get:4 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-security Release [32.5kB]
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/main Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/restricted Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/main Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/restricted Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/universe Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/universe Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/multiverse Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/multiverse Sources
Get:5 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/main Packages [115kB]
Get:6 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/restricted Packages [14B]
Get:7 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/main Sources [49.9kB]
Get:8 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/restricted Sources [14B]
Get:9 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/universe Packages [8,371B]
Get:10 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/universe Sources [2,392B]
Get:11 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/multiverse Packages [14B]
Get:12 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/multiverse Sources [14B]
Get:13 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-security/main Packages [2,067B]
Get:14 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-security/restricted Packages [14B]
Get:15 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-security/main Sources [1,300B]
Get:16 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-security/restricted Sources [14B]
Get:17 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-security/universe Packages [815B]
Get:18 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-security/universe Sources [780B]
Get:19 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-security/multiverse Packages [14B]
Get:20 http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-security/multiverse Sources [14B]
Fetched 252kB in 16s (15.4kB/s)

For the second one I get:
kubisch@squarebear:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1)]/ jaunty main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid main restricted

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates main restricted

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive any
## review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid universe
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository.
## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and the
## respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.
# deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu jaunty partner
# deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu jaunty partner

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security main restricted
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security universe
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security multiverse
# deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free

By the way how do you make those scrollable text boxes in your posts?

Kubischbuntu
May 11th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Bump!

Psychocat - where are you?

Kubischbuntu
May 14th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Bumpetybumpbump!!!

thecursedfly
June 12th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Hello all,
my purpose is to revert a full ubuntu desktop installation into a ubuntu minimal one (link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD)), and then reinstall only the stuff I want. Either this or find a way to install ubuntu mini through wubi (not possible afaik). (Please don't propose alternative solutions like partitioning and so on, I'm interested in this specifical way of installing ubuntu.)

Is it so that using the instructions in the quoted link I get my purpose (apart from the last instruction, "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop")?

sudo apt-get remove adium-theme-ubuntu alacarte app-install-data-partner binfmt-support binutils bluez-gstreamer branding-ubuntu brltty brltty-x11 capplets-data checkbox checkbox-gtk cli-common compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-plugins compizconfig-backend-gconf computer-janitor computer-janitor-gtk couchdb-bin dcraw desktopcouch empathy empathy-common eog erlang-base erlang-crypto erlang-inets erlang-mnesia erlang-public-key erlang-runtime-tools erlang-ssl erlang-syntax-tools erlang-xmerl evolution evolution-common evolution-couchdb evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common evolution-exchange evolution-indicator evolution-plugins evolution-webcal example-content f-spot gbrainy gcc gcc-4.4 gconf-defaults-service gconf-editor gdm-guest-session gedit gedit-common gnome-about gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-bluetooth gnome-control-center gnome-disk-utility gnome-media gnome-media-common gnome-nettool gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-power-manager gnome-screensaver gnome-session gnome-session-canberra gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data gnome-themes-selected gnome-themes-ubuntu gnome-user-share gnome-utils gstreamer0.10-gnonlin gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps gstreamer0.10-tools gvfs-fuse gwibber gwibber-service humanity-icon-theme ibus ibus-gtk ibus-m17n ibus-table indicator-applet indicator-applet-session indicator-me indicator-messages indicator-session indicator-sound libanthy0 libart2.0-cil libc-dev-bin libc6-dev libcamel1.2-14 libcanberra-pulse libcompizconfig0 libcouchdb-glib-1.0-2 libcryptui0 libdecoration0 libdesktopcouch-glib-1.0-2 libebackend1.2-0 libebook1.2-9 libecal1.2-7 libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-6 libedataserver1.2-11 libedataserverui1.2-8 libegroupwise1.2-13 libexchange-storage1.2-3 libexempi3 libflickrnet2.2-cil libgail-gnome-module libgconf2.0-cil libgd2-xpm libgdata-google1.2-1 libgdata1.2-1 libgdict-1.0-6 libgdiplus libgdu-gtk0 libgif4 libglade2.0-cil libglib2.0-cil libglitz-glx1 libglitz1 libgmime2.4-cil libgnome-keyring1.0-cil libgnome-media0 libgnome-pilot2 libgnome-vfs2.0-cil libgnome-window-settings1 libgnome2.24-cil libgnomepanel2.24-cil libgoocanvas-common libgoocanvas3 libgpgme11 libgpod-common libgpod4 libgraphite3 libgtk2.0-cil libgtkhtml-editor-common libgtkhtml-editor0 libgtkhtml3.14-19 libgtksourceview2.0-0 libgtksourceview2.0-common libgweather-common libgweather1 libhyphen0 libibus1 libical0 libido-0.1-0 liblaunchpad-integration1.0-cil liblpint-bonobo0 libm17n-0 libmetacity-private0 libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil libmono-addins0.2-cil libmono-cairo2.0-cil libmono-corlib2.0-cil libmono-data-tds2.0-cil libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil libmono-posix2.0-cil libmono-security2.0-cil libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil libmono-sqlite2.0-cil libmono-system-data2.0-cil libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil libmono-system-web2.0-cil libmono-system2.0-cil libmono2.0-cil libmtp8 libmusicbrainz4c2a libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil libndesk-dbus1.0-cil libneon27-gnutls libnunit2.4-cil libotf0 libpisock9 libpisync1 libprotobuf5 libprotoc5 libpst4 libpth20 libraptor1 librasqal2 librdf0 libsctp1 libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio libsqlite0 libstlport4.6ldbl libtelepathy-farsight0 libubuntuone-1.0-1 libupower-glib1 libwmf0.2-7-gtk light-themes linux-headers-2.6.32-21 linux-headers-2.6.32-21-generic linux-headers-generic linux-libc-dev lksctp-tools m17n-contrib m17n-db manpages-dev media-player-info metacity metacity-common mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime mousetweaks nautilus nautilus-data nautilus-sendto nautilus-sendto-empathy nautilus-share obexd-client openoffice.org-base-core openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-emailmerge openoffice.org-gnome openoffice.org-gtk openoffice.org-help-en-us openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-style-galaxy openoffice.org-style-human openoffice.org-writer pitivi pkg-config plymouth-theme-ubuntu-logo protobuf-compiler pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-gconf python-avahi python-configglue python-couchdb python-crypto python-desktopcouch python-desktopcouch-records python-egenix-mxdatetime python-egenix-mxtools python-farsight python-fstab python-gnomekeyring python-gtksourceview2 python-gtkspell python-ibus python-indicate python-mako python-openssl python-pam python-papyon python-protobuf python-pycurl python-pygoocanvas python-pyinotify python-serial python-telepathy python-twisted-bin python-twisted-core python-twisted-names python-twisted-web python-ubuntuone python-ubuntuone-client python-ubuntuone-storageprotocol python-uno python-wnck rdesktop rhythmbox rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder rhythmbox-plugins rhythmbox-ubuntuone-music-store screen-resolution-extra seahorse ssh-askpass-gnome telepathy-butterfly telepathy-gabble telepathy-haze telepathy-idle telepathy-mission-control-5 telepathy-salut tomboy tsclient ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs ubuntu-mono ubuntu-sounds ubuntu-system-service ubuntu-wallpapers ubuntuone-client ubuntuone-client-gnome uno-libs3 upower ure vino whois xdg-user-dirs-gtk xfonts-mathml && sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Thanks in advance for helping. ;-)

Ps. Ubuntu 10.04

pseudo_nz
August 1st, 2010, 07:22 AM
Usually that kind of error message indicates you have conflicting software sources (otherwise known as software repositories--basically online servers Ubuntu uses to fetch software you want to install).

Can you post the output of these commands?
sudo apt-get update
cat /etc/apt/sources.list

I'm having the same problem, with the same libxine entry, on 64bit Lucid. Here's the output from the two commands:

Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid Release.gpg
Hit http://archive.canonical.com lucid Release.gpg
Get:1 http://packages.medibuntu.org lucid Release.gpg [197B]
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com lucid-security Release.gpg
Hit http://debian.scribus.net lucid Release.gpg
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net lucid Release.gpg
Ign http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid/free Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ lucid/partner Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://debian.scribus.net/debian/ lucid/main Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net/apachelogger/ubuntuone-kde/ubuntu/ lucid/main Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid/non-free Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/restricted Translation-en_NZ
Hit http://archive.canonical.com lucid Release
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/restricted Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://debian.scribus.net/debian/ lucid/non-free Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe Translation-en_NZ
Get:2 http://packages.medibuntu.org lucid Release [6,854B]
Hit http://archive.canonical.com lucid/partner Packages
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/universe Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/multiverse Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/multiverse Translation-en_NZ
Hit http://archive.canonical.com lucid/partner Sources
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org lucid/free Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates Release.gpg
Hit http://debian.scribus.net lucid Release
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com lucid-security Release
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net/docky-core/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main Translation-en_NZ
Hit http://debian.scribus.net lucid/main Packages
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org lucid/non-free Packages
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/restricted Translation-en_NZ
Hit http://debian.scribus.net lucid/non-free Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com lucid-security/main Packages
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/universe Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net/tualatrix/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main Translation-en_NZ
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org lucid/free Sources
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/multiverse Translation-en_NZ
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net lucid Release
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com lucid-security/restricted Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-backports Release.gpg
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org lucid/non-free Sources
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com lucid-security/universe Packages
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-backports/main Translation-en_NZ
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com lucid-security/multiverse Packages
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-backports/restricted Translation-en_NZ
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com lucid-security/main Sources
Hit http://archive.getdeb.net lucid-getdeb Release.gpg
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-backports/universe Translation-en_NZ
Ign http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/ lucid-getdeb/apps Translation-en_NZ
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net lucid/main Packages
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-backports/multiverse Translation-en_NZ
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com lucid-security/restricted Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid Release
Hit http://archive.getdeb.net lucid-getdeb Release
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com lucid-security/universe Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates Release
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-backports Release
Hit http://archive.getdeb.net lucid-getdeb/apps Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com lucid-security/multiverse Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/main Packages
Hit http://archive.getdeb.net lucid-getdeb/apps Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/restricted Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/universe Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/multiverse Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/main Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/restricted Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/universe Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid/multiverse Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/main Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/restricted Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/universe Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/multiverse Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/main Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/restricted Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/universe Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/multiverse Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-backports/main Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-backports/restricted Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-backports/universe Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-backports/multiverse Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-backports/main Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-backports/restricted Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-backports/universe Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-backports/multiverse Sources
Fetched 7,051B in 22s (312B/s)

and

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid free non-free
deb-src http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid free non-free
deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu lucid-getdeb apps
deb-src http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu lucid-getdeb apps
deb http://debian.scribus.net/debian/ lucid main non-free

Any advice appreciated :)

vangop
August 4th, 2010, 11:12 AM
same problem. I installed kubuntu-desktop 1st, then was trying to remove gnome (so I removed && install cmd at the end).
This can be the cause.. Any solution?