PDA

View Full Version : Are you also not excited with ubuntu 9.10 ?

vexorian
October 27th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I am posting this so in September we don't have to post it again.

I don't think I am too excited with 9.10, first of all, we don't really know what the features will be, in fact, do we even know it will have features?

The only thing interesting to me is that it will most likely have a name like "Krypton Krok" and focus on KDE integration, I wonder, what things is Kubuntu missing that it could use right now?

zachtib
October 27th, 2008, 04:25 PM

I don't think I am too excited with 9.10, first of all, we don't really know what the features will be, in fact, do we even know it will have features?

The only thing interesting to me is that it will most likely have a name like "Krypton Krok" and focus on KDE integration, I wonder, what things is Kubuntu missing that it could use right now?

I'm confused

Shouldn't we be focusing on 9.04 first?

vexorian
October 27th, 2008, 04:27 PM
You are right, it seems we are losing exciting as the ubuntu version is newer. Not a lot of people are as excited with Jacked Jackalope as they are with Ibex and in the case of Krypton Krok the situation is much wrong, almost no one seems excited with, I know I am not.

Sealbhach
October 27th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I'm holding out for Lickety Lemur.

jpeddicord
October 27th, 2008, 04:48 PM
You are right, it seems we are losing exciting as the ubuntu version is newer. Not a lot of people are as excited with Jacked Jackalope as they are with Ibex and in the case of Krypton Krok the situation is much wrong, almost no one seems excited with, I know I am not.

I think you might have mixed up some dates... do you mean 8.10? That is Intrepid Ibex. Jaunty is 9.04.

BGFG
October 27th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I think you might have mixed up some dates... do you mean 8.10? That is Intrepid Ibex. Jaunty is 9.04.

because if you really mean 9.10 then this thread is really premature. There is TOO much room for development to be talking about lack of excitement for a distribution over a year away.

blakjesus
October 27th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I think its far too early for this. Correct me if im wrong but i dont think the planning for 9.10 will even begin until they are a good deal into working on 9.04. On another note i am looking forward to 9.04. I hope The developers deliver on their plan for better speed. :)

clanky
October 27th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Umm guys, I think it was meant as a joke / Satire ?

FuturePilot
October 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM

I think 9.10 is way too buggy. :rolleyes:

iKonaK
October 27th, 2008, 05:25 PM
i'm sticking with hardy 'till next LTS >10.04 :|
i'm not excited of new releases.....

DrMega
October 27th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I might start getting excited about future versions once the current LTS one is working properly:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765510

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/239021

vexorian
October 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM
i'm sticking with hardy 'till next LTS >10.04 :|
i'm not excited of new releases.....
I think I'll love 10.10 , Mad Monkey.

I might start getting excited about future versions once the current LTS one is working properly: So you are getting excited, ok.

BGFG
October 27th, 2008, 06:27 PM
By 9.10 we're supposed to be rocking hard. The name should reflect as such:

Fiery Falcon

gjoellee
October 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM
At first we have to deal with 9.04

DoubleClicker
October 27th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I'm holding out for Lickety Lemur.

LTS versions are named after birds, and have adjectives that speak to there stability and elegance. Lofty Lark or Lofty Loon are he most obvious choices

ack389
October 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I think the best name would have to be mast*****ing monkey. For some reason I read the linuxhaters blog for a few hours last night(it was hilarious). When I came across the blogger's hypothetical codename for 9.10 I literally LOL'ed

Zyphrexi
October 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM
i still remember humpin hippos. I laughed so hard... and so long I got dizzy and started seeing spots.

DrMega
October 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM
LTS versions are named after birds, and have adjectives that speak to there stability and elegance. Lofty Lark or Lofty Loon are he most obvious choices

Ok. Hardy Heron isn't very elegant when large numbers of users can't use it because it keeps randomly freezing. Perhaps it is a graceful Heron that flew too far north, reached the arctic, and froze:)

Seriously though, I hope the devs resolve the issues not just in Hardy but in future versions. Also i don't think it is the fault of the Ubuntu devs, I think it is a kernel issue affecting many distros.

Don S
October 27th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I tried installing 9.10, but it didn't work. I think it has something with my hardware being outdated.

Zyphrexi
October 27th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I actually started a poll about the name "jaunty jackelope". Personally I hate it, but I'm curious to see what others feel about the name.

lukjad
October 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I don't like 9.10, I'g going to wait for 10.10. ;)

Zyphrexi
October 27th, 2008, 07:53 PM
10.10 is a good balanced number

lukjad
October 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM
It's also the number 10 in binary. If I could get my hands on the Alpha release, it would be perfect.

seatex
October 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM
With a new version coming out every 6 months, I've decided even the finals are still betas. So, I'm holding out for the REAL final version - the one so perfect, it can no longer be further improved or refined. :-\"

lukjad
October 27th, 2008, 09:56 PM
10.10 Alpha, definately.

ezsit
October 27th, 2008, 10:30 PM
With a new version coming out every 6 months, I've decided even the finals are still betas. So, I'm holding out for the REAL final version - the one so perfect, it can no longer be further improved or refined.

I agree. I think I'm waiting for the 512 bit version of Kubuntu, maybe version 32.10. 64bit cpu's are just sooooo lame. I need me more Kubuntu and bits!!!

wolfen69
October 28th, 2008, 12:00 AM
By 9.10 we're supposed to be rocking hard. The name should reflect as such:

Fiery Falcon

sounds too much like feisty. i like fearless falcon.