PDA

View Full Version : A good (maybe pure) KDE distro?

kavon89
October 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
With Intrepid quickly approaching, and my desktop, computer, and configurations in disarray, I want to switch to KDE.

I would go to Kubuntu, but it seems it is a very 2nd rate version of Ubuntu which doesn't get much attention.

Which distro would you reccomend that pays more attention to it's KDE sister, or is KDE only? (KDE 4.x, not 3.x)

bradhex
October 27th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I´m not sure what you consider 2nd rate about Kubuntu. Both architectures, I believe, are Debian based, so you are already familiar with apt-get, using sudo exclusively, etc....I think you should try and give it a shot (use a live cd or install it on a usb drive) because I used slackware for a few years and switched to Debian, but wanted to easily update KDE whenever a new release was out. With Kubuntu this is never an issue.

Everything you seem to want is in Kubuntu, and I believe it gets a good amount of attention. (Maybe the 5.6 million results google returned are all about how much it sucks, but I doubt it)

Ubuntu´s website says this about KDE: ¨Kubuntu shares the same repositories as Ubuntu, and relies on the same underlying architecture.¨

smoker
October 27th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I would go to Kubuntu, but it seems it is a very 2nd rate version of Ubuntu which doesn't get much attention.

well kubuntu will be updated also, as well as ubuntu. you could always try opensuse.

lzfy
October 27th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I would recommend Kubuntu 8.10 if you want KDE4. This version is actually pretty good compared to previous versions.

Sealbhach
October 27th, 2008, 04:41 PM
You could try KDEmod, it's Arch with KDE:

http://kdemod.ath.cx/

Arch has a good rep and it's got a nice package manager.

voteforpedro36
October 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM

As much as I love Arch (I will never change), you really should be familiar with the command line before you use it. Even with the Beginner's Guide (you need that even if you are familiar with the command line, and are installing it for the first time), it will be a bit difficult.

OpenSUSE is bloated, but if you have a nice computer, go for it. Mandriva isn't bad either (the KDE version is apparently more 'first-class', just like you would consider Ubuntu more 'first-class' to Kubuntu.). I've never used Fedora, but I believe it comes with GNOME or KDE.

mips
October 27th, 2008, 05:13 PM

+1 KDEmod is the way to go ;)

phoenix_snake
October 27th, 2008, 05:21 PM
openSUSE :)

tikal26
October 27th, 2008, 05:23 PM
i would try the new version of kubuntu the ppa have really help this distro become very KDE centric. They have the amarok repos and newer stuff like lancelot, etc..

Dragonbite
October 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM
openSUSE 11
Kubuntu
PCLinuxOS

openSUSE has the "advantage" of being one of the larger sponsors for KDE and even implements some technologies into their distribution before KDE includes them (the slab menu found in KDE 4 has been in openSUSE's KDE 3 since at least 10.2)

chucky chuckaluck
October 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM
to the OP, are you sure you want to go from one mess to another mess? i wonder if you might not just be better off with simplifying things. you know, a window manager, browser, whatever apps you like, and just be done with DE's. (my apologies if i've misread you.)

Trail
October 29th, 2008, 01:30 PM
OpenSuse

armageddon08
October 29th, 2008, 02:54 PM
opensuse

+1:)

meestermole
October 29th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I confess I'm a noob (this is actually my 1st post - please be nice)
I've been dabbling with different Linux distros for the past 5 years or so, I've finally settled on Kubuntu, and have it installed on 2 out of 6 of my machines. It's definitely top-notch. Other distros that have caught my eye, though I havent spent as much time with are SUSE, and MEPIS.
Have fun with your experiments!

):P

yavez
October 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I'm pretty much Gnome-centric, but I installed Kubuntu-desktop earlier to have a play around, and I must say, they've done a great job. KDE 4.1 (I think) is the default and it looks and acts very polished. Maybe try the 8.10 of Kubuntu and see where you go from there?

Changturkey
October 29th, 2008, 06:35 PM
FreeBSD.

notwen
October 29th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Sidux (http://www.sidux.com/) perhaps?

pape
October 29th, 2008, 07:39 PM
My vote for openSUSE 11. It's such a professional distro, pleasure to use - running it right now. Mandriva is not bad either.