PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] lxde or xfce .. which is more usable?

jittopjose
October 27th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Hello friends.... i have used lxde quiet some time... and very few time xubuntu also...
but i am in a confusion, which one is good environment. i am least bothered about the small speed difference.. am looking for the features... gnome is getting more heavy every time.... so i wish a change....
thank you,
jittos....

x1a4
October 28th, 2008, 12:38 AM
What do you mean "more usable"? Both are quite usable and you can use any one of them, although LXDE is more light-weight.

mocoloco
October 28th, 2008, 01:01 AM
It depens on what usage you need, for Sally Surfer who just wants to browse the web either works fine, for a Windows power user he may need extra config tools found in Xfce. As a general rule, the more "lightweight" you go, the more compromises you have to make on "easy an intuitive" (which is also a bit relative from user to user).
Most Xfce distros make it easier from a fresh install to do things like manage printers or customize look and feel. Of course you can also just add some tools to LXDE to acomplish whatever you're looking for. I think it comes down to what your needs are and how much time and effort you want to put in to it. Example: I use to run a custom install for really low spec systems, with IceWM and some tools I liked, but now it's easier to use LXDE (UbuntuLite) since it mostly has everything I look for.

kerry_s
October 28th, 2008, 01:05 AM
it's what ever you prefer, it's linux you make it what you want. if speed is the issue go custom, install a base system and work your way up.

my laptops old, 450mhz 256mb ram, i use a custom debian etch, i add only what i want to use. nothing is slow on mine i click it opens instantly, the only thing that takes a while is firefox/iceweasel 10seconds from a cold boot 5seconds after that.

use the light alternatives a window manager will always be faster than a desktop, but the wm takes longer to set up to get it the way you want.

it's as simple or complicated as you want it to be.

jittopjose
October 28th, 2008, 06:44 AM
i know lxde is more light than xfce. but when i used lxde, there was no good tool for changing screen resolution, date time change. and there was not even an entry for winecfg. but in gnome i get all these thing. i want the advanced tools with lightwieght environment....

kerry_s
October 28th, 2008, 08:14 AM
i know lxde is more light than xfce. but when i used lxde, there was no good tool for changing screen resolution, date time change. and there was not even an entry for winecfg. but in gnome i get all these thing. i want the advanced tools with lightwieght environment....

i'm pretty sure xfce4 has all those things by itself in the xfce settings manager. any missing menu entry's can be added manually.
http://www.xfce.org/about/screenshots

Khaled Khalil
October 29th, 2008, 07:47 PM
i think you would prefer xfce