PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu but seems to ask for floppy?

skitter.rusty
October 27th, 2008, 07:21 AM
This is my very first 'installation' of Linux. All I have used before is a live CD of DSL and I liked it so I decided to go a bit upmarket in the way of Linux.

I have prepared my partition and everything is ok but when It boots from the CD it installs some mouse driver then gives me this:

A:\>

With a flashing cursor. I guess this means it is asking for a floppy. Problem is I don't have a floppy drive and and I don't know what disk it wants anyway. I would rather not download the live CD because here in Australia Internet is fairly slow and it will take me another 5-6 Hours!

P.S. I am actually booting from a DVD

Sef
October 27th, 2008, 08:24 AM
1) Did you want to dual boot?

2) What Ubuntu version do you have?

skitter.rusty
October 27th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Yes I do want to dual boot with Vista but am happy to use the GRUB Bootloader

I am using 7.04

Sef
October 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Yes I do want to dual boot with Vista but am happy to use the GRUB Bootloader

Can you boot into Vista?

skitter.rusty
October 27th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Yes I can, and I would rather not use the Wubi installer.

Sef
October 27th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Yes I can, and I would rather not use the Wubi installer.

Did you use the Vista installer to shrink Vista?

skitter.rusty
October 27th, 2008, 09:25 AM
My computer came with 2 Partitions both NTFS. C and D. Yes, I shrank the D partition with the vista thing. I gave Ubuntu 15gb. I have not formated this 15gb.

Sef
October 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM
What video card do you have?

What are your system specs?

skitter.rusty
October 27th, 2008, 10:10 AM
My video card is an integrated Intel chip set and I have 1gb RAM, 250GB hdd, Intel Pentium D 3Ghz. I have tried using the same disc on two computers and exactly the same thing happens.

Sef
October 27th, 2008, 10:34 AM
My video card is an integrated Intel chip set and I have 1gb RAM, 250GB hdd, Intel Pentium D 3Ghz. I have tried using the same disc on two computers and exactly the same thing happens.

I would say that you have a bad disk then. Whether is bad due the download, burn, or other, I cannot tell. Best to redownload and burn a new disk.

skitter.rusty
October 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM
:)Thanks Sef. Re-burnt with a different piece of software and to a CD instead of a DVD too. Now Works!