PDA

View Full Version : Do you use an external DVD Writer?

caspian
November 28th, 2005, 03:42 AM
I'm looking to purchase an external DVD writer. However, I don't want to run to the store and buy one only to find that it doesn't work with my Ubuntu machine.

Do you use an external DVD writer that works with Ubuntu? If so, I'd be most appreciative if you could reply with the specs of the writer you use.

Thanks!

drucer
November 28th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Do you use an external DVD writer that works with Ubuntu? If so, I'd be most appreciative if you could reply with the specs of the writer you use.

We just rescued one woman's university diploma work documents when her Windows computer crashed and refused to boot again. We obtained Knoppix live CD (Linux distribution on bootable CD), booted the computer using CD and were able to see those documents that were on her NTFS drive.

We then attached Iomega DVD burner to USB port, started up K3B cd/dvd burning application and burned these files to DVD.

No configuration was needed - none what so ever! It was pretty amazing and as a result we got some new friends of Linux :)

So, check out those Iomega drives! If it worked out of the box under Knoppix, I'm quite sure it will work with Ubuntu as well.