PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 100% CPU Usage when Dual-booting

techlover
October 26th, 2008, 11:55 PM
So I've just started dual-booting with Windows xp on C drive and Ubuntu 8.0.4 on D drive on my laptop.

I happen to realize that my CPU fan spins more vigorously now when I'm running xp. I checked the CPU usage and it is always at 100% even after I've turned off all/most non-windows applications. For now, I've temporary reduced my CPU speed to prevent any overheating issues.

Any idea how to solve the CPU usage problem or is it just a norm for dual-booting?

Thanks.

loell
October 27th, 2008, 12:00 AM
strange, dual booting shouldhave no effect on your cpu usage.

have you check what process(es) that occupies the cpu in XP?

techlover
October 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM
It seems monitor.exe is taking up all the CPU. BTW i don't know if this would help in the diagnosis, but I'm using an acer and after dual-booting, I've to manually end "erecovery.exe" whenever I restart/shutdown windows.

loell
October 27th, 2008, 12:23 AM
if i'm not mistaken monitor.exe is the Task manager itself? and its giving the high cpu usage? ;)

yeah, upon googling "erecovery.exe" is an acer utility , can you try reinstalling it? if you still need it. or better yet just uninstall it.

Shazaam
October 27th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Is your Ubuntu install a WUBI install in Windows? You might need more RAM (memory).

ukera
October 27th, 2008, 12:34 AM
hmm try deleting Windows XP fully. i'm 100% sure that will solve it :P

loell
October 27th, 2008, 12:36 AM
hmm try deleting Windows XP fully. i'm 100% sure that will solve it :P

no sarcasm please :)

techlover
October 27th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I think I figured it out. Monitor.exe is not a windows program. It's Acer's and has something to do with erecovery. Anyway, all I have to do is to disable it and I should be good.

Just to put up the link for people who might encounter the same problem in future:
http://nerd.steveferson.com/2007/06/28/stop-monitorexe-hogging-cpu/