PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] TruStealth analys failed - solicited TCP sent

elixirium
October 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I ran the TruStealth analysis at http://www.grc.com/intro.htm and this is what I got on the common ports:

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2008-10-26 at 19:08:26

Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,
119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,
1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000

0 Ports Open
26 Ports Closed
0 Ports Stealth
---------------------
26 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: CLOSED.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

and for the service ports:

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2008-10-26 at 19:12:04

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
1055 Ports Closed
1 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be OPEN.

The port found to be STEALTH was: 646

Other than what is listed above, all ports are CLOSED.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

I'm sure it could have been far worse but this might represent a security issue. I am using (g)ufw as firewall.

I started using ubuntu 2 weeks ago so I am a newbie.

What should I do to get a perfect TruStealth rating?

I welcome and appreciate any help.

Nepherte
October 26th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Actually, you're perfectly save. Whether it is stealth or closed doesn't really matter.

Btw if you're behind a router, the test scans your router instead of the firewall of your computer.

cariboo
October 26th, 2008, 10:24 PM
You do realize the www.grc.com is just a site set up to sell the owners products. Was this test run on your computer or on your router. If you are really concerned about this, run something like this:

sudo nmap -sS -sV -O -p- -PI -PT locallhost

This is the output I get from the only Windows XP computer on my network:

Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2008-10-26 14:13 PDT
Interesting ports on 192.168.1.104:
Not shown: 65532 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION
135/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
445/tcp open microsoft-ds Microsoft Windows XP microsoft-ds
MAC Address: 00:14:2A:EF:C2:18 (Elitegroup Computer System Co.)
Device type: general purpose
Running: Microsoft Windows XP
OS details: Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4, or Windows XP SP2 or SP3
Network Distance: 1 hop
Service Info: OS: Windows

Host script results:
|_ Discover OS Version over NetBIOS and SMB: Windows XP

OS and Service detection performed. Please report any incorrect results at http://nmap.org/submit/ .
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 25.242 seconds

Note the number of ports check, I have bolded it, GRC only checks the first 1024 ports.

I have file and print sharing enable, thats why there are a couple of ports open. This is on my internal network behind a linksys wrt54gs router.

Nmap is available in the repositories and there is a gui called zenmap for those that are keybaord challenged.

Jim

bwallum
October 27th, 2008, 03:37 PM
The best way to hide your pc on the internet is to be in stealth mode. To achieve this you could use NAT (network address translation) on your router. Most routers have NAT capability. Turn it on, ensure the default server is set to 0.0.0.0 (unless you know otherwise) and you will achieve full stealth rating. Closed rating is ok but it does mean that an attacker can see you and will mean that you are likely to be targeted more than one they can't see.

elixirium
October 28th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Actually, you're perfectly save. Whether it is stealth or closed doesn't really matter.

Btw if you're behind a router, the test scans your router instead of the firewall of your computer.
You're propably right, i just want a perfect Stealth. In these days you need all the sucurity you can get. I'm not sure whether i tested my router or computer..

You do realize the www.grc.com is just a site set up to sell the owners products. Was this test run on your computer or on your router. If you are really concerned about this, run something like this:

sudo nmap -sS -sV -O -p- -PI -PT locallhost

This is the output I get from the only Windows XP computer on my network:

Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2008-10-26 14:13 PDT
Interesting ports on 192.168.1.104:
Not shown: 65532 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION
135/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
445/tcp open microsoft-ds Microsoft Windows XP microsoft-ds
MAC Address: 00:14:2A:EF:C2:18 (Elitegroup Computer System Co.)
Device type: general purpose
Running: Microsoft Windows XP
OS details: Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4, or Windows XP SP2 or SP3
Network Distance: 1 hop
Service Info: OS: Windows

Host script results:
|_ Discover OS Version over NetBIOS and SMB: Windows XP

OS and Service detection performed. Please report any incorrect results at http://nmap.org/submit/ .
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 25.242 seconds

Note the number of ports check, I have bolded it, GRC only checks the first 1024 ports.

I have file and print sharing enable, thats why there are a couple of ports open. This is on my internal network behind a linksys wrt54gs router.

Nmap is available in the repositories and there is a gui called zenmap for those that are keybaord challenged.

Jim
Well, i'll keep in mind that grc is trying to sell me something, but i have read about other people getting perfect stealth rating.

Anyways, this is what I got when
sudo nmap -sS -sV -O -p- -PI -PT locallhost was entered:

Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2008-10-28 19:00 CET
Failed to resolve given hostname/IP: locallhost. Note that you can't use '/mask' AND '1-4,7,100-' style IP ranges
WARNING: No targets were specified, so 0 hosts scanned.
Nmap done: 0 IP addresses (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.381 seconds
Obviously, I have done something wrong.

The best way to hide your pc on the internet is to be in stealth mode. To achieve this you could use NAT (network address translation) on your router. Most routers have NAT capability. Turn it on, ensure the default server is set to 0.0.0.0 (unless you know otherwise) and you will achieve full stealth rating. Closed rating is ok but it does mean that an attacker can see you and will mean that you are likely to be targeted more than one they can't see.
I'm not an expert at internet security, but I know that invisibility is worth it's "weight" in gold. I'll see if my router has NAT compatibility.

bwallum
October 28th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I'm not an expert at internet security, but I know that invisibility is worth it's "weight" in gold. I'll see if my router has NAT compatibility.To check your router you can use a browser and type in the ip address. Typically this will be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 or 10.0.0.1 or something near. Your machines ip address will give you a clue
ifconfigwill give your machines inet address, mine is 192.168.1.15 for example. That tells me my router is probably on 192.168.1.1 (which it actually is).

Once you have found the router you will be asked to log on. You need to know the username (admin is a common default) and the password (some have no password, some have admin, there are a lot of variations). there is no way around this, you must know. Check out the router's spec on Google to find out the default username and password.

Once in look for NAT. Make sure it's on.

Sarmacid
October 28th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Only need 1 l

sudo nmap -sS -sV -O -p- -PI -PT localhost

And to see your router

sudo route

cariboo
October 28th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I made an error the nmap command should have the ip address instead of localhost.

Jim