PDA

View Full Version : thread to describe sci-fi future of humanity and software

Martiini
October 26th, 2008, 08:10 PM
In japan there are fullsize factories with robots and only with 5-10 engineers that maintain the robots.
I expect software to run robots that take care of house and road construction. it would take extremely advanced biological robots and software to handle work that doctors do.

I can see that software can be used to take care of every aspect of human life and environment on earth and interstellar travel.

does it take artificial intelligence to produce softwere with no human interaction?

Edit: yes , I HAVE seen all sci-fi movies .. matrix, terminator, iRobot, star wars, Space Odyssey, aliens etc etc.

francisc1701
October 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM
does it take artificial intelligence to produce softwere with no human interaction?
Do you mean programs making programs on their own? lol
Have you seen the 3 Terminator films? Or Matrix?

billgoldberg
October 26th, 2008, 10:16 PM

Yes.

And I wouldn't like true AI in machines.

I've seen to many movies to like that idea (matrix, terminator, iRobot, ...).

smoker
October 26th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I can see that software can be used to take care of every aspect of human life and environment on earth and interstellar travel.

my favourite pal, Hal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_9000

who knows what the future holds?

Paqman
October 27th, 2008, 12:02 AM
In japan there are fullsize factories with robots and only with 5-10 engineers that maintain the robots.

There are also a lot of factories that have got rid of their robots and put humans back on the assembly line. Humans are much more versatile and smart than robots.

A line using robots can generally only produce one thing. One using humans can produce a whole range of similar products (as long as you get the supply side nailed, that is) Plus, human workers can spot problems and adapt much more easily than robots. So some factories have found they work much better with meatbags on the line instead of robots.

Bottom line is that some tasks suit automation, and some just don't.

AI is an interesting subject though. Some people (such as Roger Penrose) have argued extensively that digital computers will never be able to "think", as human thought is non-algorithmic. If you believe all the "singularity" nutters we're going to find out just how smart machines can get within a generation or so. Personally, i'm not that worried that my toaster will be outfoxing me any time soon. Moore's Law is not, as some people seems to think, an actual law of physics.

handy
October 27th, 2008, 04:21 AM
There is no better robot than a human. We can even design technology to investigate & work at levels of intricacy beyond our sensor's natural capacity.

Our in built homeostasis is until the day our batteries run out working to create balance within the multitude of complex systems that we are.

We have creativity as our collective sword of Damocles. We may or may not create our own heaven on Earth or our own destruction.

zmjjmz
October 27th, 2008, 05:04 AM
There is no better robot than a human. We can even design technology to investigate & work at levels of intricacy beyond our sensor's natural capacity.

Our in built homeostasis is until the day our batteries run out working to create balance within the multitude of complex systems that we are.

We have creativity as our collective sword of Damocles. We may or may not create our own heaven on Earth or our own destruction.

Nobody else in local meatspace believes me when I say that we're just robots.

handy
October 27th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Nobody else in local meatspace believes me when I say that we're just robots.

What benefits are there to knowing?

No need for your just I think.

We can evolve ourselves as far as we choose, which makes us most remarkable robots. :lolflag:

zmjjmz
October 27th, 2008, 05:14 AM
What benefits are there to knowing?

No need for your just I think.

We can evolve ourselves as far as we choose, which makes us most remarkable robots.

Well we can reproduce too, but I hear some electronic robots in Japan can do that now too.

francisc1701
October 27th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Well we can reproduce too, but I hear some electronic robots in Japan can do that now too.
What did 3PO say about that? Ah yes:

Oh my goodness! Shut me down. Machines building machines. How perverse.

smoker
October 27th, 2008, 10:55 AM

you've got my avatar all 'broody', before she just wanted her freedom, now she wants a family:lolflag: