PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] FreeNX with broken keymap in 8.04LTS - no arrow keys

TheFinePrint
October 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I just did a clean install of 8.04LTS on my desktop/home server. Then I installed SSH and FreeNX. However when I connect to my server with NXClient there are a lot of keys that simply are not correct. In particular the arrow keys do not seem to work at all, and arrow-up takes a screenshot.

Home/PgUp/etc don't work at all. But - all regular characters, numbers, enter and backspace works fine. It's even the right keymap (norwegian), despite the physical keyboard on the machine is danish, and the machine-layout is danish. (ok confusing. Here's how it is:)

server from server: danish (correct)
laptop from laptop: norwegian (correct)
server from laptop: norwegian (correct, but with broken keys).

Changing the keymap when in NX does not seem to work. There are lots of reports of older versions of FreeNX not recognising the client-keymap, but that is apparently not the case here. Any help would be much appreciated.

edit:
In the layout editor I have tried various different keyboard models, but it does not change anything. I can also see where some of the buttons are mapped:
Physical key - interpreted key
Right arrow - nowhere
Left arrow - AltGr/ISO_L....
Down arrow - Right Super
Up arrow - Screenshot
Right Ctrl - Right Enter
AltGr - PgDn
PgDn - Right Menu
PgUp - Numpad Slash
Home - Pause
End - Left Super
Delete - nowhere
Left super - nowhere
Menu - nowhere

The rest seems to be correctly mapped.

muken
October 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Physical key - interpreted key
Right arrow - nowhere
Left arrow - AltGr/ISO_L....
Down arrow - Right Super
Up arrow - Screenshot
Right Ctrl - Right Enter
AltGr - PgDn
PgDn - Right Menu
PgUp - Numpad Slash
Home - Pause
End - Left Super
Delete - nowhere
Left super - nowhere
Menu - nowhere

The rest seems to be correctly mapped.

I have the exact same problem with Hardy as server and Intrepid as client.

The problem started when I upgraded from Hardy to Intrepid on the client.
When I used Hardy on the client, everything worked as expected.

TheFinePrint
October 27th, 2008, 04:37 PM
My initial post was with the same setup; Intrepid as the client, and hardy as the server.

I just tried with WinXP as the client and it works as expected, so apparently something in intrepid breaks the client.

muken
October 28th, 2008, 10:27 AM
My initial post was with the same setup; Intrepid as the client, and hardy as the server.

I just tried with WinXP as the client and it works as expected, so apparently something in intrepid breaks the client.

I found a bug report (255008 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/xorg-server/+bug/255008)) on launchpad. It seems like somthing regarding the keymapping has changed in Intrepid, however this seems also to affect NX.

I'm not sure where to go from here though.

PeteJ
October 30th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Hi all,

I had a gutsy thinkpad t21 laptop nx client connecting to a gutsy plain wrap freenx server working fine. Upgraded to Intrepid this morning and got the broken nav key problem in the nx session (up arrow opened Take screenshot and the other nav keys were borken too).

After reading tons, having no clue, flailing around, on both client and server I did System, Preferences, Keyboard, Layouts, "Evdev-managed keyboard" or similar, and then in the nx session, on the server, I did System, Preference, Keyboard shortcuts, Desktop, Take a screenshot. It was "Print", I pressed "Ctrl+PrtSc", it changed to "Ctrl+Print", and now ALL the nav keys work fine.

No rebooting, no logging out, no nothin'.

Phew.

Hope that helps some other folks.

Enjoy,
Pete

TheFinePrint
October 30th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Excellent. Works for me too.

skibrianski
November 1st, 2008, 10:12 AM
+1 thanks :-D

dwalker109
November 24th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Thanks very much Petej, works for me too :)

sles
November 24th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Hi all,
I did System, Preferences, Keyboard, Layouts, "Evdev-managed keyboard"

Hello!

Could you tell me where is this "Evdev-managed keyboard" ?
I can't find it :-(

sles
November 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Now it doesn't call snapshot, but arrow keys doesn't work in nx session :-(

albinootje
December 26th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Weeks ago I ran into the same problem after starting to use Ubuntu Intrepid on my desktop.
I was using a FreeNX-server on CentOS 5.x, but by coincidence I was also testing a FreeNX-server with Ubuntu Intrepid.
In the Ubuntu FreeNX-server desktop I could change the keyboard to evdev, and on my own desktop too, and eventually it worked. (And I gave up the CentOS one, because there I could not fix it :(

But.. yesterday night I removed all of my dot gnome files and all other dot files for my user (except .profile and .bash* files) on the Intrepid FreeNX server to test OpenBox and ... the same keyboard problems happened :(

This page claims that there's a released fix :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/xorg-server/+bug/255008
but I didn't see any xorg updates for Intrepid, nor did the problem get fixed for my situation.
Am I missing something ?

bioborg
January 2nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
For me, Intrepid Client and Server, on the SERVER ONLY (within an NX session), I did: System, Preferences, Keyboard, Layouts, "Evdev-managed keyboard"

And that took care of the arrow keys. They now work in an NX session.

joske
January 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
For me, the server is still running dapper, client intrepid. On the client machine, I set the keyboard settings to evdev-managed, this entry does not exist in dapper, so I can't set it on the server. It's not working, the printscreen key sends delete, arrow up sends print screen... How can I fix this?

albinootje
January 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
For me, the server is still running dapper, client intrepid. On the client machine, I set the keyboard settings to evdev-managed, this entry does not exist in dapper, so I can't set it on the server. It's not working, the printscreen key sends delete, arrow up sends print screen... How can I fix this?

I've read several things about this annoying problem (I still haven't fixed it properly), this might give you a start :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/freenx-server/+bug/289918

My vague impression is that using a custom xmodmap file can solve this.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=945199

joske
January 9th, 2009, 06:13 PM
upgrading the NX server to 3.3.0 fixes this for me.

Anthon berg
February 12th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks!

swatkins
February 17th, 2009, 09:57 PM
To fix this bug, on the server type:

apt-get install xkb-data

then type:

setxkbmap

(or restart nx)

The file /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg is the file that was needed.

This could be fixed with a dependency in one of the nx packages.

anystupidname
June 12th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I'm sorry to report that neither selecting "Evdev-managed keyboard" layout nor reinstalling the xkb-date package helped with this problem.

chris_jones32
August 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Just adding a +1 to joske's last post:

Upgrading the nxserver packages to 3.3.x fixed this issue for me.

binary.koala
September 2nd, 2009, 11:45 AM
After reading tons, having no clue, flailing around, on both client and server I did System, Preferences, Keyboard, Layouts, "Evdev-managed keyboard" or similar, and then in the nx session,

cheers mate, doing it only on the server worked for me!

thanks again