PDA

View Full Version : Please change ubuntu wallpaper!

evertsfnic
October 26th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I think that a good wallpaper in OS, bring more people than an ugly one. Becouse when people will talk about ubuntu, or they will see it for the first time thet will say it's ugly.
I remember when i was new a computer and i see computer with a better wallpaper than mine, i say oh i want that computer. but it was not the computer it was the wallpaper.

niccholaspage
October 26th, 2008, 05:28 PM
8.04 or 8.10?

seatex
October 26th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Personally, I like to choose my OS and wallpaper seperately. I change my wallpaper about every month, but no my OS. :)

evertsfnic
8.10 it really ugly.

cmat
I think they made a new one since so many people complained.

MaxIBoy
October 26th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I think that a good wallpaper in OS, bring more people than an ugly one. Becouse when people will talk about ubuntu, or they will see it for the first time thet will say it's ugly.
I remember when i was new a computer and i see computer with a better wallpaper than mine, i say oh i want that computer. but it was not the computer it was the wallpaper.

There are people who actually think that way? I'm not sure If I'm going to be comfortable helping these people with their problems...

By the way, the new Intrepid Ibex wallpaper is beautiful:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-8-10-Has-a-Brand-New-Wallpaper-95451.shtml

evertsfnic
October 26th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Personally, I like to choose my OS and wallpaper seperately. I change my wallpaper about every month, but no my OS. :)
I know it's easy to change a wallpaper, but for new people who want to try ubuntu for the first time, it won't be very actrative, it's like woman. it has to be preatty the first time you see it. "sorry for my english".

jimi_hendrix
October 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM
i say we have a community vote where we submit whatever wallpaper we want and then you can vote for multiple wallpapers at the beginning

then the keep they top 50 or so and do it again keeping the top 10 (you can only vote once now) and then top 5 and then the winner

evertsfnic
October 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
i say we have a community vote where we submit whatever wallpaper we want and then you can vote for multiple wallpapers at the beginning

then the keep they top 50 or so and do it again keeping the top 10 (you can only vote once now) and then top 5 and then the winner

I think that's a good idea.

MaxIBoy
October 26th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I have a good idea for the default one:
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8172/wallpaperpj1.png
(Centered, of course. Not zoomed or resized. That would look terrible.)

lukjad
October 26th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Not another wallpaper thread. Sorry, but I have slogged through so many of them lately...

Well, here's my question. Are you talking about the 8.04 Wallpaper, the 8.10 Wallpaper, or the old 8.10 wallpaper?

d_skillz
October 26th, 2008, 05:44 PM

Absolutely agree, I think the default theme should take the same concept as well giving one dark theme and one light theme.

niccholaspage
October 26th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Not another wallpaper thread. Sorry, but I have slogged through so many of them lately...

Well, here's my question. Are you talking about the 8.04 Wallpaper, the 8.10 Wallpaper, or the old 8.10 wallpaper?
That's right. Intrepid has a new and old wallpaper. After installing updates for Intrepid, The new background will replace the old one.

smoker
October 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM
seems to be an idiosyncrasy of ubuntu that the default wallpaper is always crap, but as long as everything else is ok then it matters little to me (first thing i'll change). often wondered though at the impression it gives to the uninitiated, and if that aspect alone is responsible for averting the gaze of a proportion of potential users elsewhere!

newton93
October 26th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Why are u complainting?

Everybody can change his wallpapers by the way i love it;)

Maybe the could implent a kinda program so somebody can pick (the first time they start ubuntu) a wallpaper (just 5 wallpapers ore so.)

cardinals_fan
October 26th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Maybe the could implent a kinda program so somebody can pick (the first time they start ubuntu) a wallpaper (just 5 wallpapers ore so.)
I often think that the Ubuntu devs could learn from Pardus' Kaptan wizard.

MaxIBoy
October 26th, 2008, 11:15 PM
It's easy to make such a liveCD with a simple remaster, just add the following command to the session:

gnome-appearance-properties %F

This is looking like less and less of a bad idea.

RiceMonster
October 26th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I've never seen a default wallpaper that I like. Really though, It doesn't concern me if people don't want to use Ubuntu/Linux because they don't like the default wallpaper. What a silly way to judge an OS.

MaxIBoy
October 26th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Personally, I think there should be no default wallpaper at all. It insults me when I have to download that much bigger of a file (and spend that much more time burning the disk) just so I can get a liveCD with 20 different wallpapers I don't like (e.g. CrunchBang.)

But having a "pick which one" dialog pop up on startup is the next best thing.

red_Marvin
October 27th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I like the new wallpaper, but I am not to fond of how the orange human theme goes with the more red-brown of the wallpaper, so I changed colours instead of wall.

init1
October 27th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Just because you think it's ugly doesn't mean that everyone does. Personally, I think it looks great.

cariboo
October 27th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I really don't care what the default wallpaper looks like on a clean install the second thing I install is Desktop Drapes, it's a wallpaper changer. I get a new wallpaper every 15 minutes.

Jim