PDA

View Full Version : If you have $100 Million to donate to an open-source project, what would it be?

verb3k
October 26th, 2008, 03:21 PM
If you have $100 Million to donate to one open-source project, and only one, what would it be?
(Distributions are not to be included in this question)

For me, I would give it to:
Blender www.blender.org

What about you?

SuperSonic4
October 26th, 2008, 03:23 PM
KDE: http://www.kde.org/

if KDE is ineligible (although you've not said that) then

Amarok: http://amarok.kde.org/

Giant Speck
October 26th, 2008, 03:24 PM
If I had $100 million, I wouldn't donate it to any open-source project.

I'd donate it to something worthy, like feeding orphans in Africa or toward AIDS research.

lswest
October 26th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I'd start an Open-Source fund and put half of the money in there for those projects that need donations at any time.

The other half I'd donate to a human rights organization

Okay...I might keep $1,000,000 for myself, but hey, I've gotta feed myself too (and at the moment my life is in a bit of a limbo, so that would definitely make living my life now and in the future easier) :P

SuperSonic4
October 26th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I'd start an Open-Source fund and put half of the money in there for those projects that need donations at any time.

The other half I'd donate to a human rights organization

Okay...I might keep $1,000,000 for myself, but hey :P

Keeping it would be pretty cool :p although I'd leave it in dollars until the pound gains some strength back against the dollar

verb3k
October 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Please keep the dicussion on track. We know that if you are really going to donate you'll put your money in humanitarian cuases. The question was "If you had $100 Million to donate to an open-source project, what would it be?"

randomusername1000
October 26th, 2008, 03:32 PM
$100 Million dollars, i guess id have to say id split it between the Ubuntu project, aMSN, Banshee and Gnome / Window Maker..

Its a very hard choice x].

~Jayson

lswest
October 26th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Please keep the dicussion on track. We know that if you are really going to donate you'll put your money in humanitarian cuases. The question was "If you had $100 Million to donate to an open-source project, what would it be?"

Sorry, but I honestly think I'd spread it around...but if I had to choose ONE project, I'd choose...the Linux Kernel (so we can finally get drivers made for all those devices that aren't quite there yet).

Le-Froid
October 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM
If it could only be one project, I'd choose the kernel. If it could be multiple projects here's how it'd go:

$30m - Kernel
$30m - KDE
$30m - GNOME
$10m - Firefox

JohnFH
October 26th, 2008, 03:58 PM
You might have had a better response by saying $1 million. $100 million is a heck of a lot for one project.

Anyway, if you wanted me to pick one project it would be a very easy decision: GIMP.

prismpirate
October 26th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I would choose the kernal too, nothing sucks more than having poor driver support

tdrusk
October 26th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Debian 99 million (Ubuntu doesn't need it, and it will help Ubuntu)
Gnash 1 million (Get them working harder)

ratmandall
October 26th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I really couldn't donate 100 mill to one project but It would be the linux kernel, otherwise I would split it between
Linux kernel - $30
Gimp - $12
Ubuntu $15
Gnome $12
Firefox $20
Python $11

jacobw.uk
October 26th, 2008, 04:30 PM
If I had to donate to an open source project I'd split it $200m for the Linux Foundation for developing the kernel and drivers and $100m to Mozilla to promote web standards and develop Firefox. I wouldn't give any to Ubuntu, thats Mark Shuttleworth's job heheh :p

lukjad
October 26th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Firefox makes its own money so I would keep the amount low. (I read the make anout 60-70 million dollars a year.) Ubuntu has a billionare supporting it, so that's taken care of. OpenOffice, well, I would give some. I think that GIMP would get a whack of cash. The Linux Kernel of course would get some. Some LiveCDs I use, like SLAX would get some. I really don't know exactly since I don't have the money.

teaker1s
October 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM
think I'd create a project to buy install and config a netbook with custom ubuntu-at the moment it would be aspireone A150.
I would charge a nominal fee per computer-not because we would needed it but because a small fee=ownership and not charity.
Fee would be put into project to promote,teach ubuntu

cmay
October 26th, 2008, 04:56 PM
gnome.
gcc (the compiler )

markp1989
October 26th, 2008, 04:58 PM
i wouldnt donate 100 million to one project, id prob donate 1 million to 100 different projects. would be hard to decide which ones,

like alot of people said the kernal would definatly get part of the money

mentallaxative
October 26th, 2008, 05:02 PM
So, why can't we pick a distribution? They're open source too.

If I had to pick a single application, I would say... well, damn, I was going to say Firefox first, since I use it so much, but then I think they're not the most hard up for cash. I'd give some to the kernel developers, since that affects everyone using Linux. I'd also give some to Vim, Geany and Emesene.

gjoellee
October 26th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I would give the money to GNOME so they can make GNOME 3.0. I am waiting for it, but the changes form every new verison of GNOME is little, and GNOME has to become more modern!

Eisenwinter
October 26th, 2008, 05:08 PM
If only a single project is allowed, I would donate it to the development of drivers for all possible hardware, The Kernel.

If more than one project is allowed, I'd split it between the kernel and the wine project.

MaxIBoy
October 26th, 2008, 05:11 PM
The FreeDesktop project.

Mazza558
October 26th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Kernel - 25 million
KDE - 25 million (KDE4 is very impressive already)
GNOME - 2 million and a further 23 million if they start to try new things.
Compiz - 2 million for more innovation
Banshee - 8 million for the creation of the ultimate linux media manager/player and a KDE port
A bonus 15 million to whichever project truely creates something revolutionary

tdrusk
October 26th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I would give the money to GNOME so they can make GNOME 3.0. I am waiting for it, but the changes form every new verison of GNOME is little, and GNOME has to become more modern!
//Off topic post
I don't think more money would make them work faster. They have reasons they aren't at 3 yet.

lukjad
October 26th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Like jobs and not being able to hire new people? ;)

Skorzen
October 26th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Everything to the kernel.

phrostbyte
October 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM
It's really tough because $100 million is a lot of money for a single project. I would probably invest it in Freedesktop.org project. Or use it to make a FOSS Adobe Creative Suite-like software (with less of the bloat).

Splitting it between projects I would say:
$30 million towards Freedesktop.org
$20 million towards X.org
$20 million towards Linux as a desktop kernel development.
$10 million towards Wine
$5 million towards GIMP
$5 million to Blender
$5 million to Swfdec/Gnash (who should merge somehow)
$5 million to KOffice

LaRoza
October 26th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Gnu

Frak
October 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
nouveau project, so I can haz mai Trem on mai PPC LinMac.

Seriously, the development is faster than the nv so far. It is somewhat stable and nearing 3D compatiblity. I'll be glad to use it when it's completed.

billgoldberg
October 26th, 2008, 07:18 PM
If I had a $100 million, I sure as hell wouldn't give it all away, but for the sake of the argument:

Linux and Gnome.

spoons
October 26th, 2008, 07:29 PM
No-one said it has to be Linux, so I'll say ReactOS. Why? Many Windows users like windows because it Windows, and dislike Linux because it is not Windows. ReactOS aims at being a drop-in replacement for Windows, which has, what? 90% of the market?

ice60
October 26th, 2008, 07:36 PM
i would start my own project that only i work on (like a bash script to open a terminal) and squander the lot on women and drugs (not in that order) lol. i'd pay for my funeral in advance because i'm a forward thinking kind of guy.

tadcan
October 26th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Hard to decide on one. But it would have to come with conditions.

Openoffice. To modularise the code for version 4. e.g like what firefox did.

www.Haiku-os.org to make that superfast, multi threading desktop they have promised.

A good video editing program on a par with Avid or FCP.