PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to create key-shortcuts ?

Flame_Phoenix
October 26th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Hi guys I am a newbie to Ubuntu but I now the Terminal is my best friend and I do use it a lot. However I find it tedious and boring to do always the same path to open it:
Applications -> Accessories -> terminal

So I wonder, is there a way for me to create a key shortcut to the terminal ?

Example:
When I press "Alt + Z" the computer opens the Terminal for me.

Also, how to I create a shortcut icon in my Desktop ?
Per example an icon with Fllopy Disk, when click it, I enter it.

hictio
October 26th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Yes, you can, goto "System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts"
On the Action tab, collapse 'Sound', and on the 'Desktop' one, select 'Run a Terminal' and assign to that what ever you want to.
Personally. I use 'Ctrl + Alt + t' but thats me :D

Flame_Phoenix
October 26th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Yes, you can, goto "System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts"
On the Action tab, collapse 'Sound', and on the 'Desktop' one, select 'Run a Terminal' and assign to that what ever you want to.
Personally. I use 'Ctrl + Alt + t' but thats me :D

Thx for help ! =D
+rep

hictio
October 26th, 2008, 05:58 PM
To add a shortcut to the Desktop, (or for that matter, to the Panel, which personally find more useful, since the Desktop is normally unreacheable, covered with all the opened windows), goto to the Applications menu, select the app you want to add a shortcut to, for instance, the Terminal.
Do a right click on its item on the list, and select either: 'Add this launcher to Desktop' or 'Add this launcher to Panel'.
Presto.

Regarding the floppy thing, I'm not sure, I don't have any box with a floppy drive (this is the 2 thousands, dude :p ;) )
But, on a plain vanilla Ubuntu install, the external media that gets mounted to the system is automagically mounted (doh!) and it is included and accessible on the Desktop.
But, again, I don't know if this is the same thing for floppies, but it works like that for USB drives.