PDA

View Full Version : It's funny, but true :)

fatality_uk
October 26th, 2008, 01:08 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/technology/26boot.html?ref=technology

SplashTop, isn't that, wait yes it IS Linux :D

mips
October 26th, 2008, 01:35 PM
And you can even put splashtop on a usb stick and boot off that.

My pc boots fast enough for me so I'm not to rushing to try splashtop.

ronnielsen1
October 26th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Umm, what? Were the elephants running on Linux or something?

Just curious what this is about?

fatality_uk
October 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Just curious what this is about?

I saw it in a post by one of the mods, p_quarles I believe and it just hit my funny bone. :lol: :D It's random, but made me chuckle.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=857971

zmjjmz
October 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I only reboot for kernel updates/crashes.
Since suspend works in Hardy, I've never needed to turn it off, even on long trips.
If I'm just away, I leave it plugged in and running.

billgoldberg
October 26th, 2008, 02:34 PM
My pc boots up in around 40-60 seconds.

I just sit in front of the pc while it boots up, I like reading the lines it spits out during boot.

niccholaspage
October 26th, 2008, 02:56 PM

I just sit in front of the pc while it boots up, I like reading the lines it spits out during boot.
Same.

lukjad
October 26th, 2008, 03:03 PM

Same.

the8thstar
October 26th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Mine boots in 80 seconds or 1m 20s if you prefer. It doesn't seem that long though.

Ub1476
October 26th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Mine boots in 15-25. Mwaha!

niccholaspage
October 26th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Wow.

Barrucadu
October 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
It is the black hole of the digital age — the three minutes it can take for your computer to boot up
Ye gods, where did they get that benchmark from? That's a ridiculously long time!

After tweaking Arch, I boot in 15 seconds (GRUB to GDM), so that's probably 25-30 after taking into account the POST and logging in.

FuturePilot
October 26th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Same here, though I just watch the Usplash progress bar.

MaxIBoy
October 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I've never timed it, but my Ubuntu laptop setup reboots faster than another kid's Vista laptop (which had better hardware) can just plain boot. Of course, that other kid was still on AVG 7.5 and was probably bogged down with malware, but I consider that a legitimate disadvantage of Windows, and I don't think it ought to disqualify the test.

the8thstar
October 26th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Impressive. What machine do you have? Is there a special version of Ubuntu you run?

brunovecchi
October 26th, 2008, 08:33 PM
My PC boots before I turn it on.
Chuck Norris set it up for me.

And then he gave me a roundkick.

lukjad
October 26th, 2008, 09:13 PM
You know, I just booted off a CD that was 28 megs. It took me very little time. Imagine if I was booting of an HD!

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 26th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Ye gods, where did they get that benchmark from? That's a ridiculously long time!

After tweaking Arch, I boot in 15 seconds (GRUB to GDM), so that's probably 25-30 after taking into account the POST and logging in.

I don't think the 3 minutes was for a Linux distro. I think it was for that other OS that has the largest market share.

Ubuntu takes 30 seconds to boot on this machine. The other OS can be timed with a clock with no seconds displayed.

cardinals_fan
October 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM
You know, I just booted off a CD that was 28 megs. It took me very little time. Imagine if I was booting of an HD!
Mostly because SliTaz is awesome :)

My box boots (button to desktop) in about 25 seconds. However, the link in the OP proves makes me think that I was right a week ago when I said

I personally think that Linux will expand in a very different direction from what most people here appear to believe. Microsoft seems happy to continue their trend of bloating up their OS to match the latest hardware. I won't necessarily fault them for that - it's a logical business decision (and gets them brownie points from the hardware manufacturers). However, it leaves one major flaw: most new Windows systems take quite a while to boot up. Remember Asus' ExpressGate (using Splashtop)? I expect similar systems to become very common - perhaps even ubiquitous - on laptops.

sixstorm
October 27th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I wish my laptop booted in 30 seconds. It takes about 1 minute to 1:20 to be ready to use. Hopefully, the final 8.10 release will fix a few issues :)

damis648
October 27th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Mine boots 1:37 from GRUB through automatic login and to a usable desktop, which I think is reasonable, considering I have a 5400RPM hard drive and Compiz, and Pidgin, and Screenlets, and Conky, etc. BUT, my Brand New 7200RPM just came in the mail so when intrepid comes out, we will see who has the fastest boot time. MWAHAHA:guitar: