PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting PC problems

kris kincaid
November 27th, 2005, 11:33 PM
I had a computer issue recently that I finally solved. I have both XP and Ubuntu installed on my PC. The initial hard drive that I installed Ubuntu Warty on "failed" after about 3 months of installation. The system would freeze up, X would crash and the screen would get flooded with an error that said something to the effect "drive not ready". After Googling for an hour or so I determined the hard drive was failing. This was strange to me because in the 10 years I have had a computer, I have never had a hard drive failure. I figured there's a first for everything, and bought a new hard drive.

Fast forward to about a month ago. The same thing starts happening with my new hard drive on Breezy! No freaking way I am having 2 hard drive failures in less than a year! After Googling again, it appears the hard drive is failing. I ran some diagnostic tests, and they all confirmed the new hard drive was failing. I was starting to wonder if maybe Ubuntu was hard on hard drives.

I was going to go over to Fry's this morning and buy a new hard drive, but just to make sure I was going to see if it was working or not before I left. When I hit the power on button, nothing happened. After checking all connections, I decided to replace the power supply and see if it fixed the problem. Bingo! That was the problem all along, a bad power supply! Now everything is working perfectly. The reason the last drive "failed" was because the power lead to it was probably no good.

I guess the moral to my story is, check everything before just throwing money at a problem. I should have known that from working on cars. :)

Dr. Nick
November 28th, 2005, 02:17 AM
Thats odd, when ive had trouble with power supplies it always crashed whateveer OS it was, never fried anything but I guess its possible. I just have a box of old parts that I use to test out. If you built these computers and they are newer (<5yrs or so) I would reccomend looking at the "pc health" in the bios and see if it all looks right. That can diagnose Power problems aswell as temperature related ones.

kris kincaid
November 28th, 2005, 03:22 AM
I guess I forgot to mention, the hard drives were not bad. They were losing power, so naturally the errors were showing the drive had failed. Shortly before everything would crash, the OS would refuse to write to the disk. I kept getting errors about my home folder being read only. This was on the rare times it would actually fully boot. :)

Oh yeah, the power supply/case was an el cheapo swap meet special.