PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can i retrieve my home folder?? please help urgent...

mali2
October 26th, 2008, 02:10 AM
HI,
today evening, i just create the new user in ubuntu, and when i log-off the current user, it becomes halt, then after it, i restart my computer and ubuntu starts, but with no Graphical interface , it is just giving the prompt with ...

initramfs _______

now from this prompt , when ever i use to give command ls, then it is not showing the home folder, in which my user is created, i try to scan my drive from windows but no luck. i have very essential data in my home/ali/.. folder... but i dont know how to retrieve this home folder, because i m now going to re-install the ubuntu. but i dont know how to save my home folder. and one more thing, i would like to mention, my hard drive containing 2 partition with NTFS type... and C driving containing windows, and D drive having some data and UBUNTU.
any help would be welcome..

Pumalite
October 26th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Try a Knoppix Live CD to save data:
http://www.knoppix.net/

mali2
October 26th, 2008, 02:57 AM
How can i use this one... ?

Pumalite
October 26th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Burn the iso to disk and boot from it. It mounts all drives/partitions automatically at boot. You can easily identify a Linux partition if there is one.